<data:blog.pageTitle/>

This Page

has moved to a new address:

http://iwasborntocook.com

Sorry for the inconvenience…

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service

Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Swappin' recipes.

I love participating in recipe swaps...so much fun!  Plus, you get to see other people's interpretations of different recipes...like mine, with the recipe I received that belongs to Sarah from A Taste of Home Cooking.

Lately I've been taking part in some food challenges, doing a lot of baking (obviously), and am planning a special meal for Valentine's Day, so I've been spending a lot on various food items.  When I saw Sarah's recipe for this dish I already had most of the ingredients, with the exception of a few that I knew would be easy substitutes...not to mention make the dish healthier.  So, I went with it.

The subject for this swap was an easy weeknight meal - something that could be made in less than 30 minutes, or prepped quickly and thrown in the crockpot.  This meal definitely fell under the 30 minute mark, and certainly wasn't short on taste.  Frank really liked it, too.  We'll be seeing it again soon :)  Thanks, Sarah!


Skillet Turkey Stroganoff
adapted from A Taste of Home Cooking

1 1/2 pounds ground turkey
Salt and pepper
4 tablespoons vegetable oil
10 ounces white mushrooms, sliced thin
1 onion, chopped fine
2 tablespoons flour
1 1/2 cups chicken broth
1 1/2 cups beef broth
1/3 cup brandy
1/3 pound Dreamfield Spaghetti
2/3 cup light sour cream
2 teaspoons freshly squeezed lemon juice

Brown the ground beef in a skillet with 2 tablespoons oil.  Add a pinch of salt and pepper.  Use a tight-fitting lid until cooked through, then remove to a bowl.



Heat remaining 2 tablespoons oil in now-empty skillet until shimmering. Cook mushrooms, onion, and 1/2 teaspoon salt until liquid from mushrooms has evaporated, about 8 minutes. Stir in flour and cook for 30 seconds, then add both broths and the brandy, and return turkey and accumulated juices to pan. 

Stir spaghetti into turkey mixture, cover, and cook, stirring occasionally, until pasta is tender, 10 to 12 minutes. Off heat, stir in sour cream and lemon juice. Season with salt and pepper. 




Labels: , , , ,

8 Comments:

At February 8, 2011 at 10:26 PM , Blogger Ann said...

Yum! this does look good, Melissa.

 
At February 9, 2011 at 12:45 AM , Blogger Mary Bergfeld said...

Melissa, this really sounds delicious. We had a lot of chicken stroganoff when we were in India. I think I'd prefer it more with turkey because the meat is more flavorful. I hope you have a great evening. Blessings...Mary

 
At February 9, 2011 at 11:28 AM , Blogger Pam said...

It looks creamy and delicious.

 
At February 9, 2011 at 4:56 PM , Blogger Claudia said...

That really looks and sounds fantastic! Do you think I might be able to swap the brandy with some sherry instead? Also, tell me about Dreamfield pasta -- why do you like it so much? I remember seeing something about it on your blog but can't find it now.

 
At February 9, 2011 at 5:07 PM , Blogger Melissa @IWasBornToCook said...

Hi Claudia! I'm not sure about the sherry...do you have cognac? That would work.
As for Dreamfield - it's a low carb pasta that I started using when I was pregnant...I was able to convert my husband over to it (he's a HUGE pasta eater) so it's our go-to pasta here. No difference in taste, and much better for you!

 
At February 9, 2011 at 5:14 PM , Blogger Claudia said...

Thanks, Melissa. I don't usually have brandy or cognac around (I think we have every other kind of booze possible though!) and I'd hate to buy a whole bottle of it. I use sherry a lot for cooking - particularly creamy sauces. I love the flavor it gives so I might try that instead. As for Dreamfield, I should give it a try. I'm on Weight Watchers right now and I've been trying some of the whole wheat and multigrain pastas out there which are not nearly as bad as I thought they would be! So I'll give Dreamfield a try -- I bet it tastes better than the whole wheat varieties!

 
At February 9, 2011 at 5:21 PM , Blogger Deborah said...

This definitely sounds like a delicious dish!

 
At February 10, 2011 at 7:31 AM , Blogger Joanne said...

I love a good easy weeknight meal and this sounds delicious! A serious comfort food.

 

Post a Comment

You keep commenting, I keep cooking. Simple as that.

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home