<data:blog.pageTitle/>

This Page

has moved to a new address:

http://iwasborntocook.com

Sorry for the inconvenience…

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service

Thursday, February 3, 2011

Kung Hei Fat Choy!

In other words..."Congratulations!  Get rich!"  Hey, if that's what the Year of the Rabbit is supposed to be all about, bring it on!

I thought a Chinese meal would be appropriate for tonight, and since I've been baking my butt off, a traditional Chinese New Year's dessert was called for as well :)  I had a 5PM hair appointment, so whatever I planned for dinner had to be quick and easy (I did my baking this morning).

If you've read my Just Can't Get Enough tab, you're fully aware that I'm a big Trader Joe's fan.  Their products are tasty, healthy (well, most of them are) and inexpensive...plus, it's VERY easy to shop there with Bella...no big crowds, no lines, always good parking.  And they're super generous with stickers, which she LOVES!  Win win.

TJ's products especially come in handy when you want/need to throw something quick and tasty on the table...like tonight's meal, which I've made dozens of times.  My measurements aren't completely accurate, because I don't measure when I cook this dish (along with many others), so proceed with caution :)  And of course, use whatever substitutions you like, what you need to use up, etc.  Here's tonight's version -

Shrimp & Chicken Stir Fry
1 1/2 cups brown rice, cooked
2 tablespoons canola oil
1 onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, chopped
2 tablespoons fresh ginger, minced
1 can water chestnuts, chopped
1 bag Trader Joe's frozen Stir Fry Veggies (thawed)
2 tablespoons sesame oil
leftover chicken
1 cup frozen shrimp (thawed)
1 1/2 tablespoons cornstarch
1/3 cup water
garlic powder
soy sauce (reduced sodium)

Heat oil in a large skillet, then add onion, garlic, ginger, water chestnuts and stir fry veggies.  Cook for about 5 minutes, then add rice and half of the sesame oil.  Stir together and cook for about a minute.

Add chicken and shrimp, along with a few shakes of soy sauce, garlic powder and the rest of the sesame oil.  Cook for about a minute or two.

In a small bowl, mix cornstarch and water together, and add to the pan.  Stir together and heat through for about a minute.  Serve immediately.
Serves 3.

While searching for a dessert to represent today's holiday, I found this recipe on about 5 different sites.  I liked it because it was very straight-forward and easy, and they sounded delicious (which they are!).  I threw these together super fast, right before Bella and I headed to Gymboree this morning...came home and had a nice little snack.  She loved them!


Chinese Almond Cookies
from Taste Of Home
1 cup butter, softened
1 cup sugar
1 egg
1 teaspoon almond extract
3 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup sliced almonds
1 egg white
1/2 teaspoon water


In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar. Beat in egg and extract. Combine the flour, baking soda and salt; gradually add to creamed mixture.

Roll into 1-in. balls. Place 2 in. apart on ungreased baking sheets (I used parchment paper). Flatten with a fork. Sprinkle with almonds.


In a small bowl, beat egg white and water. Brush over cookies. Bake at 325° for 14-16 minutes or until edges and bottoms are lightly browned. Cool for 2 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks. 



Makes about 5 dozen.


                    Labels: , , , , , , ,

                    4 Comments:

                    At February 3, 2011 at 9:21 PM , Blogger kecarr said...

                    My family loves you!!! If anyone can help me gain my weight back it is all these recipes. You have inspired me to cook & bake again, and since I have been sick that has not been a priority. Until now!! I cook & bake daily now and even if I haven't gained weight yet, the way it makes me feel is priceless! Thank you for the motivation..I feel so much better just cooking for my family...and of course, they are not complaining! ps...happy birthday- cake looked great!

                     
                    At February 3, 2011 at 9:36 PM , Blogger Melissa @IWasBornToCook said...

                    That's so wonderful! I'm glad I'm inspiring you...I love hearing things like that. That's one of the reasons I started this blog - and you're the second person to tell me it's worked!

                    Please keep it up and keep me posted on what you're making and how you're feeling!

                     
                    At February 4, 2011 at 12:48 AM , Blogger Maren said...

                    I'm so excited to stumble upon your blog. Chinese and Asian foods simply scare me. It probably goes back to a bad experience with making orange chicken. I can't wait to read more. :)

                     
                    At February 7, 2011 at 2:14 PM , Blogger Aggie said...

                    I love a good stirfry, yours looks so good! Those almond cookies sound delicious! I love almond everything!!

                     

                    Post a Comment

                    You keep commenting, I keep cooking. Simple as that.

                    Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

                    << Home