<data:blog.pageTitle/>

This Page

has moved to a new address:

http://iwasborntocook.com

Sorry for the inconvenience…

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service

Thursday, January 27, 2011

More snowbound comfort at its best

It's funny - whenever there's a big snowstorm and people ask (on Facebook, mostly) what's for dinner, you get many of the same answers.  One of them is beef stew.  The two words together just spell comfort.


I've been making this recipe for a long time, but realized recently that it had been a while since it was on our table.  Some of my friends started making it several years ago, when I first gave them the recipe, so when their Facebook statuses were saying (some, multiple times), "beef stew is simmering on the stove!" or similar, I thought, wait, that's MY stew!  And we haven't had it in AGES!  And why aren't these people inviting me over for dinner?

Problem solved.  Phew.


Oh, and along the lines of comfort, I made these for Saturday (with the addition of M&Ms, obviously).  We're celebrating two birthdays - my Mom's, which is today, and mine, which is next week.  These are mainly for me to pick at the kids to eat.  Tomorrow is when I bake the "adult" dessert - my Mom's birthday cake of choice.


REMINDER: Don't forget to enter my latest giveaway!  Ends on Sunday at 5PM!  Spread the word and increase your chances to win!

Beef Stew
3 pounds stew meat, cut into 1 inch cubes
salt and pepper
all-purpose flour
1/4 cup butter
1 tablespoon canola oil
1 onion, chopped
1 cup crushed tomatoes
3 cups water
2 cubes beef bouillon
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 tablespoons chopped parsley
1/8 teaspoon dried thyme
1 1/2 cups red wine
4 carrots, chopped
2 stalks celery, chopped
6 potatoes, cubed
2 cups pearl onions


Season the meat with salt and pepper and coat with flour. In a large skillet over medium-high heat, saute the beef and onions in the butter and oil until brown. Transfer the beef and onions to a stockpot and stir in the tomatoes, water and bouillon cubes. Season with garlic, parsley, thyme, salt and pepper. Stir in the red wine.


Cover and simmer for 1 hour before adding carrots, celery potatoes and pearl onions. Continue to simmer until potatoes are tender, about 1 hour.


Serves 8-10.



Labels: , , , , , ,

2 Comments:

At January 27, 2011 at 9:57 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yum, yum, yum. I have been looking for a beef stew recipe. Thank you!

 
At January 28, 2011 at 10:49 AM , Blogger Carrie said...

I made beef stew a while ago and wasn't overly impressed. BUt I think I need to try again.

 

Post a Comment

You keep commenting, I keep cooking. Simple as that.

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home