<data:blog.pageTitle/>

This Page

has moved to a new address:

http://iwasborntocook.com

Sorry for the inconvenience…

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service

Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Cannoli Cheesecake

We celebrated Easter at my sister-in-law and future brother-in-law's house this weekend.  Since Joe's birthday was yesterday, I told him to pick a cake that he wanted me to make to bring to dinner.

His answer, "either a cannoli cake or a cheesecake".

My decision?  A cannoli cheesecake.  Naturally.


The only problem with this cake is that we didn't bring home any leftovers :)  Oh, and I guess the fact that the crust didn't go as high as the cake might be another minor infraction.  I think next time I'll keep it strictly on the bottom...no need for it on the sides anyway.


Frank has already requested this for his birthday in June...I may need to make it again before that :)

Cannoli Cheesecake
barely adapted from Fine Cooking

2 cups crushed vanilla wafers
3 tablespoons sugar
7 tablespoons butter, melted
3 (8 ounce) packages cream cheese, at room temperature
1 cup ricotta cheese
2 tablespoons AP flour
pinch of salt
1 1/4 cups sugar
1/2 cup mini chocolate chips
2 tablespoons finely grated orange zest
1 tablespoon pure vanilla extract
4 eggs, at room temperature
confectioners' sugar, for garnish

Position oven rack to middle of oven and preheat to 375 degrees.  Stir cookie crumbs and 3 tablespoons sugar together in a bowl, then mix in melted butter until crumbs get slightly clumpy.  Transfer to a 9 inch springform pan and press evenly along the bottom and 2 inches up the sides of the pan (like I said, I'll probably just cover the bottom next time).  Use a plastic bag or wrap to press gently.  Bake for about 10 minutes, or until slightly brown.  Let cool on a rack.  Lower oven temperature to 300 degrees.

Put paddle attachment on stand mixer.  Mix cream cheese, ricotta, flour and salt on medium speed, scraping sides of bowl frequently, until very smooth and fluffy, about 5 minutes.  Make sure cheese has no lumps.  Add sugar and beat until well blended and smooth.

Add chocolate chips, orange zest and vanilla.  Beat until just combined, about 30 seconds.  Add eggs, one at a time, also beating until just blended.  Do not overbeat.  Pour filling into cooled crust and smooth top.

Bake for about 55-65 minutes.  The sides will be puffy and the center will look soft and jiggle.  Set on rack and cool completely.  Cover and refrigerate, at least 8 hours and up to 3 days.  (it can also be frozen at this point for up to one month...see original recipe for freezing tips)

Unclasp and remove side of pan and run a long, thin spatula under the crust.  Slide onto flat serving plate carefully (or leave it on the bottom of the springform pan like I did!).  Garnish with confectioners' sugar.  Dip knife in warm water before cutting each slice, wiping inbetween cuts.

Linked to:  Sweets for a Saturday



Labels: , , , , , , ,

13 Comments:

At April 10, 2012 at 9:23 AM , Blogger Sarah - The Home Cook said...

This looks amazing!! I love cannoli.

 
At April 10, 2012 at 10:57 AM , Anonymous Eva @ Eva Bakes said...

OMG - I totally need to make this! You just made my mouth water.

 
At April 10, 2012 at 10:59 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Looks great. I'll have to try this

 
At April 10, 2012 at 11:40 AM , Anonymous Jill (JBean Cuisine) said...

O.M.G. Cannot wait to try this - just need a reason to make it.

Yumm, I can only imagine how delicious it tastes'. Next time you make it, let me know, and I will drive down from Canada to indulge in a piece!

 
At April 10, 2012 at 4:09 PM , Blogger Hezzi-D said...

Love cannoli! I've been waiting for this one since you mentioned it on FB. I say forget the crust on the sides, it actually looks amazing with it halfway up!

 
At April 10, 2012 at 10:02 PM , Blogger Laura said...

Cannoli and Cheesecake?! I cannot wait to try this delicious dessert combination.

 
At April 11, 2012 at 8:42 AM , Anonymous Carrie's Sweet Life said...

I've never had cannoli, but this looks awesome. I need to try it!

 
At April 13, 2012 at 10:16 PM , Blogger Jenn said...

This sounds incredible!

 
At April 13, 2012 at 11:44 PM , Blogger Lisa said...

I'd say you came up with the best solution of all. You can never beat two treats in one.

 
At April 14, 2012 at 4:50 AM , Anonymous Corina said...

I love cheesecake and this looks incredible. I love how high it is!

 
At April 14, 2012 at 8:36 PM , Blogger Carol said...

Wow, this looks good! My husband love cannoli and cheesecake to.

 
At May 4, 2012 at 8:45 AM , Anonymous Eva @ Eva Bakes said...

I wanted to say thank you for a fantastic recipe! My coworkers all enjoyed this! I've linked to you here: http://evabakes.blogspot.com/2012/05/cannoli-cheesecake.html

 
At May 7, 2012 at 4:10 PM , Blogger Amber | Bluebonnets and Brownies said...

Oh wow! I haven't had a cannoli in forever, and just imagining it as a cheesecake is giving me all sorts of mouth-watering ideas. Love it!

 

Post a Comment

You keep commenting, I keep cooking. Simple as that.

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home