<data:blog.pageTitle/>

This Page

has moved to a new address:

http://iwasborntocook.com

Sorry for the inconvenience…

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service

Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Marshmallow Fudge Cake

We recently celebrated my mother-in-law's birthday on St. Patrick's Day.  She made delicious corned beef and cabbage, and we ended the meal with her cake request.


Last year, when I made her brown derby cake, she was thrilled.  I thought about using the same chocolate cake recipe this time around, then I saw a more fudge-like recipe on my Ghirardelli cocoa can.  Knowing it couldn't be anything short of awesome, I went to work.

Then, it was off to find a marshmallow frosting recipe that would be sure to please.  I was very happy with the results as far as taste, but unfortunately the looks left a lot to be desired :(  It was the first time I made an icing of this consistency, so I guess I'll just have to keep practicing...


Yikes!

But you know what?  It was awesome.  Like a big devil dog.  SO much better than I imagined it would be.  And that was the general consensus :)


Whose birthday was it, anyway?



Marshmallow Fudge Cake
cake recipe from Ghirardelli, frosting recipe from Pixelated Crumb

for the cake:
3/4 cup unsweetened cocoa
2 cups AP flour
1 3/4 sugar
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup butter, softened
1 1/3 cup milk
2 eggs
2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract

for the frosting (seven minute frosting):
4 egg whites
1 cup sugar
1/2 cup light corn syrup
4 tablespoons water
1 tablespoon pure vanilla extract
pinch of salt

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  Grease and lightly flour two 9 inch round cake pans.

Combine flour, cocoa, baking powder, baking soda and salt.  Set aside.  In a mixing bowl, cream butter and sugar together on medium high speed until light and fluffy, about 4 minutes.  Reduce speed to low, and add vanilla, then eggs one at a time, scraping bowl after each is added.  Alternately add flour mixture and milk (beginning and ending with flour) while mixing on low.  Continue to mix until smooth.

Pour into prepared pans and bake for 30-35 minutes, or until toothpick comes out of middle clean.  Let cool before removing from pans.  Keep cake refrigerated until 15-30 minutes before you're ready to frost.

Combine all frosting ingredients in a large metal or glass bowl set over a saucepan of simmering water.  Make sure bowl is considerably larger than ingredients since they will grow.  Beat on high with handheld mixer until thick and fluffy, about 7 minutes.  Remove bowl from heat and continue mixing until slightly cooled (use frosting day it is made).

Put bottom layer on cake plate and add frosting on top.  Add second layer, then frost top and sides.  Refrigerate until shortly before serving.

If frosting is runny, freeze cake for a little while before putting in the fridge or serving (this is what I ended up having to do!)

Linked to: Sweets for a Saturday

Labels: , , , ,

8 Comments:

At March 27, 2012 at 8:10 AM , Blogger Joanne said...

I made marshmallow frosting a few weeks ago and had similar consistency issues! Oh well, so long as it tastes good...and this definitely looks like it does!

 
At March 27, 2012 at 9:32 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, this cake looks amazing!! I have never made marshmallow frosting, though I can imagine that it would be a wonderful complement to this delicious looking chocolate cake. :D -Kim

 
At March 27, 2012 at 9:36 AM , Anonymous katie said...

Devil Dogs are my absolute favorite. I can't get them in Texas, but during my pregnancy I had to have them...$30 on Amazon later...

This cake looks like a more delicious replacement. Can't wait to try it.

 
At March 27, 2012 at 11:09 AM , Blogger Jaida said...

You had me at Fudge Cake :) Looks amazing!

 
At March 27, 2012 at 2:44 PM , Anonymous Brianna said...

Such a cute picture! Levi always goes after the candle no matter whose birthday it is :) I could sure go for a slice of that cake right now!

 
At March 27, 2012 at 4:03 PM , Blogger Hezzi-D said...

I just want to make a big bowl of that frosting and eat it with a spoon!

 
At March 27, 2012 at 7:47 PM , Blogger Dorothy @ Crazy for Crust said...

Yummy! Runny or not, it looks great. I've never had good luck making anything with egg whites. There must be some sort of trick to it. Lovely cake!

 
At March 27, 2012 at 11:04 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've been making a similar icing for a while now, but I use brown sugar instead of white (personal preference). My recipe uses 1/4 tsp of cream of tartar. Maybe that would help yours?

 

Post a Comment

You keep commenting, I keep cooking. Simple as that.

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home