<data:blog.pageTitle/>

This Page

has moved to a new address:

http://iwasborntocook.com

Sorry for the inconvenience…

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service

Monday, April 16, 2012

Asparagus Carbonara

Another spring day, another use for asparagus.  And this one is a new favorite!

This dish was seriously delicious, even with "thinning it out" by using fat free half and half in place of heavy cream.  I was a little worried that it wouldn't hold up, but fortunately I was wrong.  It was creamy and flavorful and perfect.

And while we're talking about spring days, what's up with this weather?  80 degrees yesterday...a predicted 93 degrees today...I can't believe I'll be turning on the AC in mid-April.  I want my spring back!!

Well, at least eating this will make me feel like it's 60 degrees...


Asparagus Carbonara
adapted from Closet Cooking

6 ounces penne
1 bunch asparagus
5 slices bacon
3 cloves garlic
1 egg yolk
4 tablespoons fat free half & half
1/3 cup grated pecorino romano
pepper

Cook pasta according to package instructions.  Meanwhile, cut bacon into bite size pieces and fry in a large skillet.  Once cooked, drain most of fat out of pan.

Cut asparagus into penne shaped pieces then add to pan.  Add garlic and pepper and toss together.  Mix egg yolk, half & half and cheese in a bowl.  Set aside.

Drain pasta, reserving a little bit of water.  Add pasta to pan and toss.  Remove from heat and wait for sizzling to stop.  Add egg mixture and toss to coat.

Taste at this point and decide if you need to add reserved pasta water.  I didn't need to, but if you do, add slowly, then toss.  Top with more pepper, if desired, and serve.

Linked to: Tastetastic Thursday


Labels: , , , , ,

3 Comments:

At April 16, 2012 at 12:10 PM , Anonymous Nicole@HeatOvenTo350 said...

I love new uses for asparagus, especially with bacon. I'm also just learning how delicious pecorino romano is. Yum!

 
At April 16, 2012 at 4:13 PM , Blogger Hezzi-D said...

This looks delicious! I have a hunk of pecorino romano in the fridge and this might be the recipe it gets used on!

 
At April 17, 2012 at 7:03 AM , Blogger Joanne said...

I've made this before and really love it! Asparagus is the perfect compliment to the eggy sauce!

 

Post a Comment

You keep commenting, I keep cooking. Simple as that.

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home