<data:blog.pageTitle/>

This Page

has moved to a new address:

http://iwasborntocook.com

Sorry for the inconvenience…

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service

Friday, April 15, 2011

Spicy but sweet (and how to cut a mango)

I'm a huge fan of spicy (as you may have already guessed!), but there's something even better about sweet and spicy.  The combination is so refreshing and challenging at the same time.  I love discovering different meals that incorporate both tastes, although I usually have to tone the spicy part down just a bit for Mr. Wimpy the other adult in the house ;)


This dish was delicious, and very easy to make.  I served it with brown rice and sauteed spinach which I thought went really well with it.  The spinach kind of "cools off" the shrimp (although I added lots of garlic to it, naturally).  My mother-in-law joined us for this meal and gave it a big thumbs up!


For all you mango virgins who are deathly afraid of cutting one open, I've included this link for you showing 3 different ways to go about it.  My preference is #2.  Enjoy!


Spicy Mango Shrimp
adapted from My Recipes

3 tablespoons canola oil
1 cup onion, chopped
4 garlic cloves, chopped
1 teaspoon red chile flakes
1/2 cup fresh basil leaves, chopped
2 tablespoons low sodium soy sauce
1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
1 1/2 cups shrimp, peeled and deveined, tails removed
2 cups mango, cubed (preferably unripe)
1/4 cup toasted shredded unsweetened coconut (I omitted...and not on purpose.  I forgot!)


Heat oil in a large frying pan over medium heat.  Add onion and cook until golden brown, about 5 minutes. 
Add garlic, chile flakes, basil, soy sauce, lime juice, and shrimp. Cook until shrimp turn pink.  Add mango and cook until warm. Sprinkle with toasted coconut and serve.
Serves 4
WW Points+ = 8 (including coconut, not including rice)


Linked to: Mangia Monday
                  Mango Blog Hop



Labels: , , , , , , , ,

3 Comments:

At April 15, 2011 at 10:35 AM , Blogger Lisa D. said...

Ooh, this looks amazing! Will definitely have to give it a try.

 
At April 15, 2011 at 12:02 PM , Blogger Nicole said...

Oooh, I love mango. It goes so well with spicy food, too. This looks delicious!

 
At April 16, 2011 at 8:02 AM , Blogger Joanne said...

Well I am certainly no mango virgin! And I do love me some sweet and spicy food...hits every taste bud in just the right way. This dish sounds delicious!

 

Post a Comment

You keep commenting, I keep cooking. Simple as that.

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home