<data:blog.pageTitle/>

This Page

has moved to a new address:

http://iwasborntocook.com

Sorry for the inconvenience…

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service

Sunday, February 27, 2011

Expanding my horizons

There aren't many "extras" that I made myself before starting this blog...they were just never on my radar, for whatever reason.  Some things just seemed easier to grab at the store, rather than taking the time to make them myself and tailor them to our taste.

One of them is granola.  I thought it would be nice to make my own to put on top of greek yogurt or even eat by the handful.  Delicious, and so easy to make!  It definitely beats buying premade granola mixes.

This recipe caught my eye - it seemed interesting, plus I already had almost all of the ingredients at home.  I was looking for something that worked with quick oats, since I wanted to use up the open container I had.  I've really been enjoying it...it'll be a keeper.


Vanilla Granola
adapted from ifood

6 cups quick-cooking oats
1 cup slivered almonds
1 cup craisins
1/2 cup flaked coconut
2/3 cup vegetable oil
1/2 cup honey
1/2 cup brown sugar, packed
2 tablespoons water
1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract

Preheat oven to 275 degrees.  Cook oil, honey, sugar, water and vanilla over medium heat until mixed.  In a bowl, combine oats, almonds, craisins and coconut.  Pour liquid mixture over oat mixture and stir so everything is coated.

Spread granola on 2 baking pans (9x13).  Bake for 50-60 minutes or until golden brown, stirring every 15 minutes.

Cool and stir occasionally.  Store in an airtight container.

Labels: , , , ,

3 Comments:

At February 27, 2011 at 5:21 PM , Blogger Ann said...

That homemade granola looks great. Blogging gets me to expand my horizons too!

 
At February 28, 2011 at 7:48 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nice one, Melissa! Home made granola takes so little "cook's time" to make and SO much better and cheaper than store bought. Well done!

 
At February 28, 2011 at 10:23 AM , Blogger Reeni said...

What a delicious granola! This is one thing I haven't made yet but have on my radar. Congrats - you won the Shop Rite Gift Card giveaway! Please email me your address cinnamonyspice@gmail.com

 

Post a Comment

You keep commenting, I keep cooking. Simple as that.

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home