<data:blog.pageTitle/>

This Page

has moved to a new address:

http://iwasborntocook.com

Sorry for the inconvenience…

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service

Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Fennel is fantastic.

I always get excited when I see recipes that include fennel.  Fennel makes me happy.  I love when it's roasted or baked, but my all time favorite is eating it SUPER cold all by itself, with some olives.  YUM.

This recipe caught my eye for many reasons, not just because of the fennel.  It's comforting, rustic, EASY (seriously, it doesn't get much easier!), delicious and would even be suitable for company.  Simply put - it's Italian.  That's what it's all about.


Another wonderful one-pot meal :)



Umbrian Sausage Bake
adapted from Italian Food Forever

8 sausage links, hot or mild 
4 medium potatoes, cut into 2 inch chunks
2 fresh fennel bulbs, top & core removed and cut into 2 inch pieces
2 medium onions, peeled and cut into thick wedges
2 red bell peppers, core & seeds removed and cut into 2 inch chunks
6 garlic cloves, peeled & crushed
3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
sea salt & cracked black pepper, to taste
crushed red pepper, to taste
1/2 cup chopped fresh parsley
zest from 2 lemons

Preheat the oven to 375 degrees. Mix together all the ingredients apart from the sausages in an oven-proof large casserole dish and toss well to coat the vegetables with the oil and seasonings. Place the sausages on top and place in the oven. 

After 20 minutes, pierce the sausages with a fork and turn over. Gently move the vegetables around to ensure they both cook and brown evenly. 

Continue to cook until the vegetables are lightly browned and tender when pierced with a fork, and the sausages are browned, about another 25 minutes or so. To serve, scoop a hearty helping of the vegetables onto each plate, and top with the sausages cut in half. Serve immediately.

Labels: , , , , , ,

5 Comments:

At February 22, 2011 at 3:37 PM , Blogger Abby said...

I don't think I've ever cooked with or eaten fresh fennel, but I think it's a great flavor for sausage. Looks like a great meal!

 
At February 22, 2011 at 9:23 PM , Blogger Reeni said...

This does sound incredibly comforting and delicious! Just the type of meal I love. My Mom loves cold fennel too!

 
At February 23, 2011 at 9:07 AM , Blogger Min {Honest Vanilla} said...

i love one-pots! so much less work yet satisfying :) i've not used fennel much though, it's not easily available in tropical weather singapore :P

 
At March 5, 2011 at 1:27 PM , Blogger Christa said...

We tried (as in my husband cooked;) this for dinner last week. I've had my eye on it since you posted it couldn't wait to try it. It was SO good! Def. a make again dish. Thanks!

 
At March 5, 2011 at 8:50 PM , Blogger Melissa @IWasBornToCook said...

Christa, I'm so glad! Thanks for letting me know. We loved it too!

 

Post a Comment

You keep commenting, I keep cooking. Simple as that.

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home