<data:blog.pageTitle/>

This Page

has moved to a new address:

http://iwasborntocook.com

Sorry for the inconvenience…

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service

Friday, February 25, 2011

When you know, you know.

Have I discussed the courtship that Frank and I had?  Well, simply put - it was quick.  We met, moved in together 4 weeks later, and got engaged 7 weeks after that.  Crazy kids, we were.

It happened so fast that he actually fell in love with me for ME, not my cooking.  I didn't even get a chance to cook for him before he told me he loved me.  Crazy Frank, he was.

One of the first things I remember making him was chicken marsala, which I knew was one of his favorites.  It has since always been his most requested meal.  It's evolved since I first started making it...I've made several changes through the years.  My version doesn't look like what you'd order in a restaurant, because this is the way Frank likes it.  Chicken cut into bite size pieces, served over pasta.


His preference actually works out well for those who need quicker weeknight meals...the chicken doesn't take long at all to cook this way, and the pasta cooks at the same time as the chicken (and yes, you are seeing two different shapes of pasta in there...we had two open boxes so I used them both up...use whatever type you like).

And please, buy Marsala wine...NOT Marsala cooking wine.  Go to the liquor store.  I know you know where it is.  It makes a huge difference.  Pick up a nice bottle of Merlot while you're at it...it goes well with the dish.

Give it a try - it'll impress someone special to love you (more), too :)

Chicken Marsala
4 boneless chicken breasts, cut into chunks
1/2 cup flour
salt and pepper
2 tablespoons butter
2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
1 cup mushrooms, sliced
1/2 cup chicken broth
3/4 cup marsala wine
1 teaspoon oregano
pasta
1/4 cup fresh parsley, chopped
grated pecorino romano cheese

Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat, and add butter and oil.  At the same time, place water in a pot to boil for pasta, and cook according to package directions.

Put flour in a bowl with salt and pepper.  Toss chicken into flour, shake off excess and add to skillet once butter has melted.  Saute chicken until brown on all sides.

Add mushrooms, chicken broth, marsala, and oregano.  Also, add more salt and pepper to taste.  Stir together.  Bring to a boil, then turn heat to low.  Cook for approximately 10-12  minutes, or until sauce thickens (if it doesn't look like it's getting thick, add a bit more butter, or make a small slurry of cornstarch and water in a separate bowl and add slowly to the pan).

Drain pasta and add to skillet.  Add salt, pepper and oregano to taste.  Combine so that all the pasta is covered in sauce.

Take off the heat and add parsley, as well as some grated cheese, if you like.  Serve immediately.


Labels: , , , , , ,

5 Comments:

At February 25, 2011 at 2:43 PM , Blogger Joanne said...

I totally plan on catching a man with my cooking abilities...but who knows, maybe he'll like me for more than just my ability to make pasta from scratch. :P

This chicken marsala looks delicious! I can see why it's a favorite!

 
At February 27, 2011 at 1:25 PM , Blogger kecarr said...

oh..haven't read this blog in about a week due to fun winter cooties,but this will be a "thank you" meal to my husband when I feel better...thanks for all the great ideas

 
At March 3, 2011 at 7:20 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Just made the chicken marsala, it was DELICIOUS!!!!! The only change I made was using whole wheat flour and serving over mashed potatoes (red) with caramelized onions. Thank you!!!!

 
At March 3, 2011 at 8:20 PM , Blogger Kimberly said...

This looks delicious. I am adding it to my list for next week. Thanks Melissa!

 
At April 19, 2011 at 8:56 AM , Blogger Julie from TheLittleKitchen.net said...

This looks so good! I love chicken marsala and mushrooms...wish my husband loved them too, I would cook with it a lot more! Thanks for sharing your recipe with me.

 

Post a Comment

You keep commenting, I keep cooking. Simple as that.

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home