<data:blog.pageTitle/>

This Page

has moved to a new address:

http://iwasborntocook.com

Sorry for the inconvenience…

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service

Thursday, February 24, 2011

Calling all Moms...

Teeny time, Gymboree, school, park, playground, playdates, sports, parties, music class, gymnastics, karate, dance class...go ahead, Moms - add your child's activity of the day to this list.  It's endless, right?

Well, whatever it is, don't forget to pack that snack!  One more thing to add to that list...

As a Mom (Dads too - shouldn't leave them out!), it's important to have a list of go-to food items that you can make in advance.  I've found that muffins are perfect - not only are they delicious, but they're a nutritious snack that can be frozen and taken out easily to defrost in individual portions.  They're great for breakfast, too.

Bella is a big fan of "cupcakes", as she calls them, so I like to change it up and create different varieties.  As always, I go by my mood as well as what's available in my kitchen.

I wasn't sure what to call these, but based on the ingredients I used, and where my head is at these days, I thought the name I chose was the most fitting.  Even Bella said yesterday, "I need to go sit on the beach.  I need the sun on my face."  We're soooo OVER winter in this house!


Tropical Muffins
largely adapted from Allrecipes

2 cups AP flour
1 cup sugar
2 teaspoons baking soda
2 teaspoons cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon salt
3 eggs, lightly beaten
1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
1/4 cup vegetable oil
2 tablespoons clementine juice
2 cups frozen mango chunks
1 ripe banana, mashed
1/2 cup coconut
1/2 cup walnuts


In a large bowl, combine the first five ingredients. In another bowl, combine the eggs, oil and juice; add to the dry ingredients just until moistened. Stir in the mango, banana, coconut and nuts.


Fill paper-lined muffin cups two-thirds full. Bake at 350 degrees F for 20-25 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. Cool for 5 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks.

Labels: , , , , , , , ,

6 Comments:

At February 24, 2011 at 2:56 PM , Blogger Lisa D. said...

These sound great - I am making them this afternoon! I only need to buy the mango.

 
At February 24, 2011 at 5:38 PM , Blogger Ann said...

Melissa, these look great! I love that Bella calls muffins, cupcakes. Gotta get in the good habits early!

 
At February 24, 2011 at 6:04 PM , Blogger Mary Bergfeld said...

Your muffins sound delicious. I hope the weather soon warms for you. Have a great evening. Blessings...Mary

 
At February 24, 2011 at 9:42 PM , Blogger bbscabral said...

LOL! Like Bella, Jonathan also calls muffins cupcakes, and the mommy in me can not bring myself into telling him it's a muffin. BTW your "cupcakes" look great!

 
At February 25, 2011 at 12:35 AM , Blogger La Bella Cooks said...

Oh goodness, mango, coconut, clementine juice....these sound heavenly!

 
At February 25, 2011 at 1:03 AM , Blogger Maren said...

These look great. I love coconut and mango.

 

Post a Comment

You keep commenting, I keep cooking. Simple as that.

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home