<data:blog.pageTitle/>

This Page

has moved to a new address:

http://iwasborntocook.com

Sorry for the inconvenience…

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service

Monday, May 7, 2012

Toffee (Secret Recipe Club)

My secret blog assignment for this month's Secret Recipe Club was The Yummy Life, and that it definitely is!  There were a lot of great recipes to choose from on Monica's blog.  I browsed through the recipe archives on and off for about a week.  Then, right before Administrative Professionals Day, I had a great idea that made it much easier to make a decision.

Most of you know that I recently went back to work for the first time since I was pregnant - I had been out of the game for close to 4 years.  I'm working for a firm that I was with from 1997-2003.  Most people from that time are long gone, but there are some who still remain, including the administrative assistant/office manager in the branch office I work out of.  Carolyn is a great person and a terrific admin, and for those reasons I thought she deserved a nice batch of this:


Toffee is one of my favorite candies ever, but I'd never made it myself.  Now that I know how easy it is, I might be in great danger...

There are no words.


Carolyn loved it, and I definitely did, too.

Thanks for a great recipe, Monica!

Toffee
adapted from The Yummy Life

1 cup (skin on) whole almonds
1 cup butter
1 cup sugar
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
1 (12 ounce) package semi-sweet chocolate chips (2 cups)
1/3 cup finely chopped pecans and Heath toffee bits

Spread almonds on a microwave-safe plate in a single layer.  Microwave on high for 2-3 minutes, stirring after each minute.  Arrange almonds in a single layer on a foil lined baking sheet.

Combine butter, sugar, vanilla and salt in a saucepan.  Cook over medium high heat, stirring frequently until butter is melted.  Continue cooking for another 7-10 minutes, until candy turns light brown (it may start smoking slightly).  Immediately pour candy over almonds evenly.  Sprinkle chocolate chips all over the candy.  Wait one minute then spread chocolate until smooth.  Sprinkle with pecans and Heath bits.

Let cool then break into pieces.  Store in refrigerator in a tightly covered container.


Labels: , , , ,

18 Comments:

At May 7, 2012 at 12:20 PM , Anonymous Monica @ TheYummyLife said...

Melissa, you chose one of my favorite recipes! So glad it turned out. Great idea to add the Heath bits on top. Awesome job. Happy to connect with you via SRC. :-)

 
At May 7, 2012 at 12:35 PM , Anonymous Lesa @Edesias Notebook said...

Oh yum! That is one lucky office manager! Looks great!

 
At May 7, 2012 at 12:48 PM , Blogger Katrina said...

Mmm, love toffee. Sounds kind of like a theme for SRC this go-round. ;) I've seen 3 so far. Toffee is dangerous for me to have around.

 
At May 7, 2012 at 1:02 PM , Anonymous Anne @ Quick and Easy Cheap and Healthy said...

Homemade toffee is the best!

 
At May 7, 2012 at 1:05 PM , Blogger Amy Anderson said...

How sweet of you! I'm sure Carolyn really appreciated it.

 
At May 7, 2012 at 1:16 PM , Anonymous Rachel Cooks (formerly Not Rachael Ray) said...

Homemade toffee is the best!

 
At May 7, 2012 at 1:43 PM , Blogger Carolyn said...

Toffee really is the best. Here's to candy!

 
At May 7, 2012 at 2:27 PM , Blogger Allison @ Alli 'n Son said...

I love homemade toffee. I made it once and it was so addicting Great SRC recipe.

 
At May 7, 2012 at 3:58 PM , Blogger Sarah said...

oh yum! great choice this month. :)

 
At May 7, 2012 at 4:20 PM , Blogger Amber | Bluebonnets and Brownies said...

I literally want to eat this right now. Until it's all gone. I love toffee more than just about any other candy. Wonderful SRC choice!

 
At May 7, 2012 at 4:47 PM , Blogger singerinkitchen said...

I've never made toffee but this recipe has been hooked. I must make it for a gathering soon.

 
At May 7, 2012 at 5:34 PM , Blogger ZONE F DG TEAM said...

Mmmmm. A most try. Great choice for SRC!

 
At May 7, 2012 at 7:44 PM , Blogger Susie said...

Looks wonderful! And the recipe is different than most I have made. My toffee loving hubby may get a treat!

 
At May 8, 2012 at 3:45 AM , Blogger Lisa said...

Yum, homemade toffee is always the best.

 
At May 8, 2012 at 5:12 AM , Anonymous Beth Michelle said...

I just adore toffee. This looks amazing.

 
At May 8, 2012 at 8:54 AM , Anonymous Shannon @ RecipesMe said...

This toffee recipe looks so delicious :)

 
At May 8, 2012 at 4:16 PM , Blogger Mindy said...

My grandmother used to make the most wonderful toffee during the holidays--I never got the recipe from her, but I think you've inspired me to go out and try to make some! (Visiting from Group C!) :-)

 
At May 9, 2012 at 10:02 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

This looks delicious. I need to try it! :)

 

Post a Comment

You keep commenting, I keep cooking. Simple as that.

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home