<data:blog.pageTitle/>

This Page

has moved to a new address:

http://iwasborntocook.com

Sorry for the inconvenience…

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service

Friday, April 27, 2012

Andes Mint Chocolate Chip Cake

Another special little person in my life had a milestone birthday recently.  My niece Nina turned 10!  And I was THRILLED when she gave me her cake choice.  It's one of my favorite flavor combinations.


I had to make some changes to the original recipe since the request was specifically "mint chocolate chip cake".  No problem.


Where the problem did lie, however, is in my leveling/trimming/frosting skills.  Damn layer cakes.  Can someone please come and tutor me?  PLEASE???

Anyway, it tasted awesome...and isn't that what really matters? :)


Happy birthday Nina - I can't believe you're in double digits!


Andes Mint Chocolate Chip Cake
adapted from Bird On A Cake

For the cake:
1 cup boiling water
2 cups sugar
1 3/4 cups AP flour
3/4 cup cocoa powder
2 teaspoons baking soda
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
2 eggs
1 cup buttermilk
1/2 cup vegetable oil
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
1 1/2 cups chopped Andes mints
mini chocolate chips (for assembly)

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  Grease and flour three 8 inch round cake pans.

Bring some water to a boil.  In a large mixing bowl combine sugar, flour, cocoa, baking soda, baking powder and salt.  Add eggs, buttermilk, oil and vanilla.  Mix together.

Add one cup of boiling water and carefully stir until mixed in.  Beat for 1 1/2 minutes with mixer.  Fold in mints.  Pour batter into pans and bake for about 20-23 minutes.

For the Mint Buttercream frosting:
1 cup (2 sticks) butter, softened
5 1/2 cups confectioners' sugar
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
1 teaspoon mint extract
green food coloring
1/2 cup milk (may use less)

Mix all ingredients except milk together on low speed.  Gradually add milk until desired consistency is reached.

Place bottom layer on serving plate.  Add frosting, then spread mini chocolate chips evenly over it.  Repeat with second layer.  Frost top and sides of cake, then add chips on top and on sides.

Linked to: Tastetastic Thursday
                 Sweet Tooth Friday
                 Sweets for a Saturday
                 Mint Blog Hop





Labels: , , ,

10 Comments:

At April 27, 2012 at 8:48 AM , Blogger Moviegirl03 said...

As long as it tastes good, I don't think anyone judges what the layers look like. Sounds like one amazing cake! I love Andes Mints. :)

 
At April 27, 2012 at 11:03 AM , Anonymous lynda said...

It looks great, I don't see a problem with the cake at all. Sounds delicious.

 
At April 27, 2012 at 1:57 PM , Anonymous raquel@eRecipe.com said...

Nothing is wrong with your cake. It looks awesome. I love mint flavor, it has a cool effect in your mouth. Yummy! =)

 
At April 27, 2012 at 4:15 PM , Anonymous Catalina @ Cake with Love said...

Chocolate and mint are my favorite flavor combination, at Coldstone I always order chocolate & mint ice cream with brownies!! This cake looksso moist and rich, just the way I like, would you mind dropping a slice at my house in jersey City :), pretty please?!! :)

 
At April 27, 2012 at 6:23 PM , Blogger Pam said...

This cake would be a huge hit in my house... we love mint and chocolate together.

 
At April 30, 2012 at 8:15 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Chocolate and mint go so well together. That looks yummy.

 
At May 2, 2012 at 10:48 PM , Blogger Michelle said...

Looks awesome! I'm going to need to try this ASAP!

 
At May 3, 2012 at 2:05 AM , Blogger Winnie said...

Very delicious looking cake
I'd looooooove a slice or two :)

 
At May 5, 2012 at 1:40 PM , Blogger Robin @ Bird On A Cake said...

I sure thought that recipe sounded familiar! I'm glad your neice enjoyed it. :0)

 
At May 6, 2012 at 9:42 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

This cake looks delicious! and Nina looks so grown up - happy birthday!! I'm going to make this for teacher appreciation lunch, i'll let you know how it turns out...

 

Post a Comment

You keep commenting, I keep cooking. Simple as that.

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home