<data:blog.pageTitle/>

This Page

has moved to a new address:

http://iwasborntocook.com

Sorry for the inconvenience…

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service

Friday, April 1, 2011

A sweet surprise

Spring cupcakes...aren't they pretty?  


And, they're sealed with a kiss :)


I made them for the kids at the last minute, the day we celebrated my Dad's birthday.  After assembling the cassata cake and realizing how much rum was in it, I actually got nervous!  Not like me at all, but honestly, the smell almost knocked me out at 7am.

After filling the cupcake liners, I dropped the kisses in.  As you can see, they sunk to the bottom.  Still delicious, but not quite what I wanted.  Next time I'll stick them in through the top as soon as they come out of the oven.  Does anyone know if that'll work, or have any other tips?  I'm all ears.

I used this recipe from Smitten Kitchen for the cake, and the white buttercream frosting I used for my nephew's rainbow cupcakes.  I topped them with some colored sugar to make them look festive.

Now if only the weather would cooperate with the calendar!  Come on, spring!

Linked to: Sweets for a Saturday, hosted by Sweet As Sugar Cookies

Labels: , , ,

11 Comments:

At April 1, 2011 at 10:30 AM , Blogger Nicole said...

I love the idea of a surprise inside, especially when it is so easy to do. Yum!

 
At April 1, 2011 at 10:34 AM , Blogger Lishie said...

Pour the batter into the liner first, then slightly press the kiss into the middle of the batter, but not too far! It will bake in the middle!

 
At April 1, 2011 at 10:39 AM , Blogger Melissa @IWasBornToCook said...

Lishie, that's what I did. I barely pressed them in...you could still see the tip of the kiss on some of them.

 
At April 1, 2011 at 10:43 AM , Blogger Lishie said...

Hmmm, strange, may be the batter... A denser batter may help. You good try again by coating them with some of the dry ingredients batter then place them on top.

 
At April 1, 2011 at 10:49 AM , Blogger Melissa @IWasBornToCook said...

Thought of that after the fact, of course...I've done that before for other recipes. Maybe that was the problem.

 
At April 1, 2011 at 11:16 AM , Blogger Jennifer said...

What if you were to press the kisses in halfway through baking the cupcakes? Maybe they'd stay in the middle that way?

 
At April 1, 2011 at 11:50 AM , Blogger Beloved Green said...

What a cute idea! I was going to suggest the same thing as Jennifer. Allow the batter to firm up a bit in the oven, and then try and put it in. Still very sweet though!

 
At April 1, 2011 at 8:27 PM , Blogger Ann said...

Love them, Melissa! Very Springlike. I don't know what it's like in Jersey but we got a snowstorm today. My son had no school!

 
At April 5, 2011 at 12:40 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

Think I am going to try these with chocolate cupcakes and a reeses peanut butter cup in the middle for hubbys birthday tomorrow. Wish me luck!

 
At April 5, 2011 at 4:29 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Coat things you mix in batter lightly with flour to keep from sinking :)

 
At April 5, 2011 at 4:30 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

in the batter*

 

Post a Comment

You keep commenting, I keep cooking. Simple as that.

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home