<data:blog.pageTitle/>

This Page

has moved to a new address:

http://iwasborntocook.com

Sorry for the inconvenience…

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service

Thursday, March 24, 2011

More recipe swapping!

I have to admit, I'm starting to get a little confused...whose recipe is for which swap and when is it due and what's the theme and what do I need to get at the store and...I need to get my act together!  Still, I love participating in them...95% of the time it adds a great recipe to my collection.

The theme for this particular weekly swap was easy weeknight dinners.  I received a recipe from Nichole, author of The Cookaholic Wife, for Beef Au Jus Sandwiches.  I had a very hectic day and still was able to run home and get this on the table in less than 30 minutes...not bad!

This is a fantastic way to spice up boring deli meat.  It's also a great idea when thinking of what to serve to a crowd for the big game.  Frank really liked it.  He had his on a long roll - I had mine sans bread (behaving!).  It was delicious, even on its own.



I served it with smashed potatoes and steamed mixed veggies.

The recipe below reflects the changes I made to make it a bit lighter...we loved it.  Thanks for a great dish, Nichole!

Beef Au Jus Sandwiches
adapted from The Cookaholic Wife

2 tablespoons unsalted butter
1 yellow onion, sliced
3 garlic cloves, minced
1 bay leaf
1/2 cup red wine
1 tablespoon AP flour
1 teaspoon thyme
salt and pepper to taste
1/2 pound deli roast beef, thinly sliced
rolls (whatever type you prefer)

Melt the butter in a dutch oven.  Add onion, garlic and bay leaf and cook for about 10 minutes, or until soft and lightly browned.

Add wine and bring to a boil.  Reduce to simmer and cook until liquid reduces.  Remove bay leaf.

Add flour and whisk in until evenly distributed.  Pour in broth and add salt, pepper and thyme.  Bring to a boil then reduce to simmer.

Add meat to the pot and let it soak in the juices for about 5 minutes.  Place on rolls, top with sauce and serve.

Serves 3
WW Points+ = 6 (without bread)

Labels: , , ,

2 Comments:

At March 24, 2011 at 8:30 PM , Blogger Ben said...

Beautiful, Melissa...with or without the point count!

Ben
http://kissthecook-ben.blogspot.com/

 
At March 24, 2011 at 9:45 PM , Blogger Ann said...

Melissa, I really like this a lot and my family would too!

 

Post a Comment

You keep commenting, I keep cooking. Simple as that.

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home