<data:blog.pageTitle/>

This Page

has moved to a new address:

http://iwasborntocook.com

Sorry for the inconvenience…

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service

Monday, March 7, 2011

Happy Birthday Maddie!

My oldest niece and goddaughter turned 10 yesterday.  Seems like last week that I was at the hospital about to witness her birth (until my sister had to get wheeled in for an emergency C-section and I was kicked out...boo!). She's made me a proud Aunt since the day she came into my life.


A few weeks ago I asked Maddie what kind of cake she wanted me to bake for her big day.  She didn't hesitate for a second before answering, "Strawberry Shortcake!".  So, that was that...off I went to search for a recipe.

Well, it didn't take long for me to find a fantastic one for the cake and strawberry filling.  Conveniently, it was also for 9 inch cake pans, which was perfect for me since I don't have 8 inch!  I chose to use my sweetened whipped cream instead of cream cheese frosting for a more traditional strawberry shortcake.

The end result was wonderful...both in the looks and taste department.  DELICIOUS.


Of course, Maddie was super excited to make a wish.


What do 10 year olds wish for these days, you ask?  The two words she texted me (a month ago) regarding what she wanted for her birthday gift answered that question.  Mazin Hamsters.

Say whaaaaa???  Yes, I had to Google.  Here's a tip - Amazon.  If you have a 10 year old girl you need to buy a gift for, go there, and pick up 5 of them.  She'll love you forever.

She'll also love you (as will the rest of the family) if you make this cake.  It's sweeeeeet :)


Strawberry Shortcake
adapted from Made in Melissa's Kitchen


For the cake:
3 cups AP flour
6 tablespoons cornstarch
2 teaspoons baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
18 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened 
3 cups sugar
6 large eggs, at room temperature
1 cup sour cream, at room temperature (I used light, since that's what I had in the fridge, and it was fine)
2 teaspoons vanilla extract


For the Strawberry Filling:
1 pound strawberries
5 tablespoons sugar


Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  Grease and flour two 9 inch cake pans.  


Sift the first 4 ingredients together in a bowl and set aside.  Cream butter and sugar on medium high speed with a mixer until light and fluffy.  Add eggs one at a time, and make sure to mix completely after each egg.  Add sour cream and vanilla, and mix until combined.


Slowly add dry ingredients on low speed and mix until barely combined.  Pour into two equal amounts into each pan.


Bake for 30-35 minutes (***mine took closer to 40***) and test with a toothpick to be sure it comes out clean.  Remove cakes from pans immediately and cool on a rack.


To make the strawberry filling - wash, stem and slice the berries lengthwise.  Put them in a bowl with 3 tablespoons of sugar, stir, and set aside for 30 minutes.  Mash the berries with a fork, then add another 1-2 tablespoons of sugar, stir, and let sit until all sugar is dissolved.  Mash the larger pieces and set aside.


Once cakes are completely cooled, start by placing one on a plate and topping it with some of the sweetened whipped cream (see my recipe below)...just enough to cover the cake...followed by all of the strawberry filling.   Make sure to pour all of the juice on it too!


Add the second cake on top, then follow with the rest of the whipped cream.  Decorate the top of the cake with whole and/or sliced strawberries any way you like.  Store in the fridge until ready to serve.


Sweetened Whipped Cream
2 cups heavy cream
5 tablespoons confectioners' sugar (taste to test - you may want to add another tablespoon)
1 teaspoon vanilla extract


Beat heavy cream on high speed until it starts to thicken.  Add sugar and vanilla and beat until peaks form.


Linked to: Sweets For A Saturday, Hosted By Sweet As Sugar


Labels: , , , ,

3 Comments:

At March 7, 2011 at 2:15 PM , Blogger Ann said...

Maddie and I think alike, Strawberry Shortcake is my favorite too. Boy, does that cake look good. I have to make that cake. Maddie is one lucky girl!

 
At March 7, 2011 at 2:26 PM , Blogger Pam said...

What a beautiful and delicious cake! Happy birthday to Maddie.

 
At March 7, 2011 at 8:21 PM , Blogger Sandra said...

What a wonderful looking cake..my mom made me cakes like that when I was younger! Looks amazing..your niece is one lucky girl!

 

Post a Comment

You keep commenting, I keep cooking. Simple as that.

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home