<data:blog.pageTitle/>

This Page

has moved to a new address:

http://iwasborntocook.com

Sorry for the inconvenience…

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service

Tuesday, August 14, 2012

Pitacella (Fried Zucchini, Italian Style)

My brother-in-law's mother was an amazing cook.  Born and raised in Calabria, she came here as a young adult and brought with her some of the most delicious Italian recipes and dishes I've ever had.  One day, I promise you, I will blog her lasagna...and you will thank me FOREVER.  Seriously.

But for now, I give you what they call pitacella.


Like many other Italian recipes, the simplicity of this dish is exactly what makes it amazing.  This is the perfect time of year to make it...when zucchini the size of baseball bats are growing in your garden...because you can never, NEVER have too much of this.  Make a LOT.  I promise you - whatever you make won't be enough.

Oh, and I use the word "recipe" very loosely, because as you'll see, there are no measurements.  Just go with your gut.  I highly doubt that it'll ever turn out to be awful, no matter how much you think you may have messed it up.


Pitacella (Fried Zucchini, Italian Style)
from Nina

zucchini (a LOT), sliced into thin rounds
extra virgin olive oil
flour
water
egg
salt

Heat oil in a large skillet.  Combine flour, water and egg, using whatever amounts give you a pasty consistency, but not too thick.

Coat zucchini in batter and drop in pan.  Fry on both sides until golden brown.  Make in batches so as not to overcrowd the pan.  Remove and place on plate lined with paper towel.  Immediately sprinkle salt on top.  Serve hot, warm or at room temperature.



Labels: , , , ,

6 Comments:

At August 14, 2012 at 7:30 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

awesome dedication to Nina. xo

 
At August 14, 2012 at 8:01 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Holy moly. I am totally making these by the end of the day.

 
At August 14, 2012 at 8:14 AM , Blogger Jessica@AKitchenAddiction said...

This sounds like a great way to use excess zucchini!

 
At August 14, 2012 at 8:29 AM , Blogger Joanne said...

I've never heard of this Italian dish before! Sounds delicious!

 
At August 14, 2012 at 10:42 AM , Blogger simran said...

this sounds so very good!i love the fact that its so simple!
do drop by my space when you get some time....

 
At August 16, 2012 at 8:07 PM , Anonymous Cook LA said...

I'm inspired, my apron is on, wooden spoon in hand and ready to make this tonight.




http://cooklacookingschool.blogspot.com/

 

Post a Comment

You keep commenting, I keep cooking. Simple as that.

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home