<data:blog.pageTitle/>

This Page

has moved to a new address:

http://iwasborntocook.com

Sorry for the inconvenience…

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service

Friday, February 24, 2012

Broccoli Soup

I got super excited when I saw the theme for the next recipe swap.  Soup.  Love in a bowl, in other words.

I also got super excited when I saw Sarah's recipe that I was assigned.  Yum.  Not that this week has been soup-friendly weather (um, hello 60 degree weather in February, NJ!) but really, is there ever a bad time for soup?

I don't think so.


And yes, I did add the unnecessary cheese on top.  I suggest you do the same.

Broccoli Soup
from A Taste of Home Cooking

2 pounds broccoli, separated into florets and chopped
1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
1 large onion, chopped
1 celery stalk, chopped
1 leek, white and light green parts only, chopped
1/4 cup flour
1 1/2 quarts chicken broth
fresh lemon juice to taste
salt and pepper
1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese

Heat oil in a dutch oven over medium high heat.  Add onion, celery, leek and broccoli with a little salt and pepper.  Saute until onion is soft, about 10 minutes.  Add flour and stir to combine.  Cook for about 4 minutes.  Gradually add broth to pot, whisking to work out any flour lumps.

Bring soup to a simmer and and cook for about 45 minutes, stirring occasionally.  Puree soup using a stand or immersion blender.  Stir in lemon juice, add cheese, and season to taste.



Labels: , ,

4 Comments:

At February 24, 2012 at 7:03 AM , Anonymous Alida said...

This sounds really good. Adding cheese is totally the way to go!

 
At February 24, 2012 at 11:14 AM , Blogger Sarah - The Home Cook said...

Glad to liked it. This is one of our favorites and I especially love that it doesn't have any cream but is still a creamy soup.

Thanks for being part of the recipe swap!

 
At February 25, 2012 at 11:22 AM , Anonymous Katerina said...

I love broccoli! This soup sounds like the perfect idea!

 
At February 25, 2012 at 1:52 PM , Blogger Joanne said...

Soup is DEFINITELY love in a bowl in my opinion! This looks delicious!

 

Post a Comment

You keep commenting, I keep cooking. Simple as that.

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home