<data:blog.pageTitle/>

This Page

has moved to a new address:

http://iwasborntocook.com

Sorry for the inconvenience…

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service

Thursday, August 18, 2011

When the cat's away...

Frank's been working a LOT of hours lately, including late nights.  So, he hasn't been around much for dinner.  Boo :(

But hey, why not look on the bright side of things...it gives me a chance to make foods that he doesn't like to eat.  Like peas.

This is one of those dishes that takes me right back to my childhood.  I have very vivid memories of it cooking on the stove while the smell permeated the house.  One of Mom's best meals, and so easy to whip up on a busy weeknight.  I love it.  And I wish I could make it more often.

Talk about a peasant meal.  This is old school Italian, people.

I miss him, but cooking off the "black list" makes it a little more bearable while he's gone :)

Pasta with Poached Egg & Peas
1 pound pasta (mezze rigatoni, elbows, small shells all work great)
2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
3 cloves garlic, chopped
crushed red pepper
1 (28 oz) can tomato sauce (or crushed tomatoes)
2 cups frozen peas (use more or less if you like)
4 eggs
salt and pepper to taste
pecorino romano cheese

In a deep skillet, heat oil over medium high flame.  Add garlic and crushed red pepper, then once garlic is brown add sauce.  Lower flame to medium and cook for 5-7 minutes, then add peas.  Cook peas for 20 minutes over low heat, covered.

Remove cover and carefully crack eggs in pan, making sure not to break yolks.  Poach over low heat, covered, for 10-15 minutes (if you want to speed up their cooking time, spoon sauce on top of them occasionally).  At the same time, cook pasta according to package instructions.

Drain pasta and place in individual bowls.  Spoon sauce and peas over pasta and mix.  Add egg on top, followed by more sauce and peas, and then salt, pepper and cheese.  Serve immediately.

Serves 4.

Linked to:  Pasta Recipes Link Up


Labels: , , , , ,

3 Comments:

At August 18, 2011 at 8:53 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

CLASSIC!!! I love this dish!

 
At August 18, 2011 at 10:53 AM , Anonymous Nicole@HeatOvenTo350 said...

I have to confess - sometimes I love when my husband isn't home for dinner because then I can eat whatever "weird" or "healthy" food I want. :) This pasta recipe is probably one he wouldn't go for, but I know I would love it.

 
At August 18, 2011 at 8:07 PM , Anonymous Maris (In Good Taste) said...

Comfort food at it's best!

 

Post a Comment

You keep commenting, I keep cooking. Simple as that.

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home