<data:blog.pageTitle/>

This Page

has moved to a new address:

http://iwasborntocook.com

Sorry for the inconvenience…

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service

Wednesday, August 17, 2011

More, por favor!

The next time you're looking for a quick (and I mean QUICK!!), easy and delicious side dish for your Latin inspired meals, remember this one.

Then go buy plantains.  Then turn on your stove.  Then enjoy them 10 minutes later.

Oh, and tune in later today (more specifically, 5PM today) for a bonus post!

Fried Plantain Chips
2 firm, semi-ripe plantains
canola or vegetable oil (enough to just fill the bottom of your skillet)
salt
juice from 1 lime

Cut plantains in half, then slice skin vertically without piercing the plantain to help peel skin off.  Cut plantains on an angle, about 1/4 inch thick.

Heat oil in a large skillet.  Place plantain slices in - just enough to line bottom of pan (you will probably repeat this step a few times).  Flip them once they turn golden and cook for another few minutes.

Remove chips from pan and place on paper towel lined plate.  Immediately squeeze lime juice on top and sprinkle salt.

Serve right away or store in air tight container once they are cool (they can be reheated in a 350 degree oven for about 5 minutes).

Labels: , , ,

4 Comments:

At August 17, 2011 at 8:07 AM , Blogger Joanne said...

Being that I am a crazy plantain ADDICT. This is oh so bookmarked.

 
At August 17, 2011 at 10:50 AM , Anonymous Nicole@HeatOvenTo350 said...

I've seen plantains in the store but I've never been brave enough to buy them since I have no idea how to prepare one. I think I have a pretty good excuse to buy them, now. These look so tasty.

 
At August 17, 2011 at 2:29 PM , Anonymous Krystal R. said...

Fantastic dish Melissa! Platanos and I - totally made for each other. I'll admit I cheat and use the frozen ones...so I can enjoy them faster!! Have you ever tried adding some rum and brown sugar as a glaze on plantains? Takes it to a whole new eating level - oh boy!

 
At March 26, 2012 at 9:55 AM , Blogger Chrystal Oates said...

I made these and they were fantastic. Thanks for sharing!

 

Post a Comment

You keep commenting, I keep cooking. Simple as that.

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home