<data:blog.pageTitle/>

This Page

has moved to a new address:

http://iwasborntocook.com

Sorry for the inconvenience…

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service

Monday, August 15, 2011

The whole enchilada (Secret Recipe Club)

I noticed several fellow food bloggers posting about The Secret Recipe Club and became curious, so I decided to look into it.  I'm so glad I did...what fun!  You get a blog assignment each month from one of the leaders of the group, and you get to pick any recipe you want from it.  Then everyone posts their recipe on the same day at the same time for the big reveal.

When I got my assignment I had to do a double take, because as it turned out, I was given the blog of the creator of the group...Amanda from Amanda's Cookin'.  I was honored, and was even more excited after seeing the wide variety of delicious recipes in her index.  Great stuff!

I actually spent a few weeks deciding what to make, believe it or not...I went back and forth between a few things (this is where Frank will come in and tell you how indecisive I always am infront of a menu).  Then, I came upon a recipe for homemade enchilada sauce, and jumped on it.  I had a craving for Mexican food and since I've never made my own before, I figured this was the perfect opportunity, and combined it with my chicken enchilada recipe.


Do yourself a favor - next time you're at the grocery store, put down the can of prepared stuff and make this.  Too easy not to.  No excuses.

By the way,  you can check out all the other SRC recipes at the bottom of this post.  And why not join in the fun yourself if you're a food blogger?  Visit the site for all of the details.

Amanda, hope you're proud of my first assignment, especially since it's coming from your blog!  Loving the SRC already...can't wait for the next round :)


Easy Chicken Enchiladas with Homemade Sauce
sauce recipe from Amanda's Cookin'

For the enchiladas:
meat from 1 rotisserie chicken
1/2 cup light sour cream
juice from 1 lime
7 large whole wheat flour tortillas
shredded cheese (this time around I used monterey jack, sharp cheddar and mozzarella)
2 scallions, chopped

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  Combine first 3 ingredients in a bowl and mix.  Spoon a little sauce (see recipe below) on the bottom of a 9x13 pan.

Take a tortilla and place filling toward the bottom of it, then tuck the sides in and roll it up.  Place seam down in the pan.  Continue with the rest of the tortillas and filling.

Pour sauce over and around the enchiladas, then top with cheese.  Bake for about 20 minutes, or until brown and cheese has melted.  Top with chopped scallions and serve with sour cream.

For the sauce:
1 (15 oz) can tomato sauce
1 (4 oz) can chopped green chilies (do not drain)
2/3 cup water
1/3 cup red bell pepper, chopped
1 tablespoon chili powder
1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
2 garlic cloves, minced


Place all ingredients into a blender and blend until smooth. Pour into a small saucepan and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer, uncovered for 5-7 minutes. 


Labels: , , , , , , , ,

25 Comments:

At August 15, 2011 at 9:15 AM , Blogger Amanda said...

So glad you enjoyed the sauce! It's our favorite and I haven't bought a can since :) Thanks for participating in SRC, glad you had fun!

 
At August 15, 2011 at 9:49 AM , Anonymous Hezzi-D said...

I love homemade enchilada sauce. This differs from the one I made slightly, so I'll have to give it a try. Your enchilada's look delicious!

 
At August 15, 2011 at 10:15 AM , Blogger Patsyk said...

I love homemade enchiladas... and now, I'm going to have to try them with this sauce! Thanks for sharing!

 
At August 15, 2011 at 10:40 AM , Blogger Barb Szyszkiewicz said...

I have been using this enchilada sauce recipe for a while now. Triple the batch;it freezes great. From one Jersey girl to another :)

 
At August 15, 2011 at 11:05 AM , Blogger Kelly | Eat Yourself Skinny said...

What a great dish, this looks incredible!! So glad I found your blog through Secret Recipe Club, new follower! xoxo

 
At August 15, 2011 at 11:14 AM , Blogger Lisa~~ said...

These do sound easy and look delish.

If you haven't already, I'd love for you to check out my SRC recipe this month: Cilantro Lime Chicken

Lisa~~
Cook Lisa Cook

 
At August 15, 2011 at 11:53 AM , Blogger Barbara Bakes said...

So easy - this would be a great weeknight dinner.

 
At August 15, 2011 at 12:25 PM , Anonymous Lesa @Edesia's Notebook said...

I love Mexican food and have been having trouble finding a canned enchilada sauce that I like. I will have to try this. Nice selection!

 
At August 15, 2011 at 1:30 PM , Blogger Katrina said...

Now I'm craving Mexican food and haven't made enchiladas in a while! Great pick from our fearless leader and her delicious blog.

 
At August 15, 2011 at 1:34 PM , Anonymous Astrid said...

Looks delicious, I think I'd have chosen them too! :o)

 
At August 15, 2011 at 2:16 PM , Anonymous Barbara | Creative Culinary said...

I've never made enchiladas...I do love a local place but in a casserole format...OK, this I just might do!

 
At August 15, 2011 at 3:37 PM , Anonymous Maris (In Good Taste) said...

They do say great minds think alike!

 
At August 15, 2011 at 4:05 PM , Blogger Shelby said...

Lucky you! :-). I love enchiladas too but grumpy wont eat them so I have to make them when I a feeding someone else. Looks delicious!

 
At August 15, 2011 at 4:59 PM , Blogger Tami said...

I want to stick a fork right into that second picture and take a bite! Yum! It sounds delicious!

 
At August 15, 2011 at 5:04 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

I had Amanda as my first blog too, right when SRC began. I remember seeing these. It looks awesome, I love enchiladas :)

 
At August 15, 2011 at 5:08 PM , Anonymous Jane Bonacci - The Heritage Cook said...

Melissa - what a wonderful choice for SRC. I could dive right into that pan of enchiladas!!

 
At August 15, 2011 at 5:46 PM , Blogger Peggy said...

I love those 'throw-it-all-in-a-blender' type sauces! Might have to try this for dinner next week =)

 
At August 15, 2011 at 11:33 PM , Blogger Tessa said...

I agree with you - homemade enchilada sauce makes them SO MUCH better. Great pick for your first month with SRC!

 
At August 16, 2011 at 12:40 AM , Blogger Sara said...

Mmmmmmmmmmmm, these look so yummy! I've never made my own red sauce for enchiladas, sounds terrific!

 
At August 16, 2011 at 2:18 AM , Blogger heidi said...

Ohh I love enchiladas - in fact everything Mexican - will have to give the homemade sauce a try sometime!

 
At August 16, 2011 at 1:26 PM , Blogger Amy Anderson said...

I don't like the canned stuff so I'm really excited to try this!

Amy @ A Little Nosh

 
At August 16, 2011 at 4:34 PM , Blogger Victoria said...

Enchiladas are my favorite Mexican food :) These look great and easy! Yum

 
At August 17, 2011 at 4:38 PM , Anonymous Lana @ Never Enough Thyme said...

I've already printed this out and will most definitely be making it very soon. Enchiladas is one of the recipes that my husband asks for time and time again and I've never had a really good recipe for them. Now I do!

 
At August 18, 2011 at 2:28 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, those look delicious. Love making Mexican food but don't do it often enough. Thanks for the recipe for the sauce. It is easy.

 
At August 21, 2011 at 10:54 AM , Blogger Jennifer Sikora said...

I love chicken enchiladas. I never thought of making my own sauce though :)

Thanks for sharing

Jennifer
www.jennifersikora.com

 

Post a Comment

You keep commenting, I keep cooking. Simple as that.

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home