<data:blog.pageTitle/>

This Page

has moved to a new address:

http://iwasborntocook.com

Sorry for the inconvenience…

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service

Thursday, June 2, 2011

More cupcakes, anyone?

It seems as if I've been on a cupcake kick lately (I have more to blog, even after this post!)...I don't care what anyone says about the "trend" being over - they're always a big hit.  And so convenient to bring to a party, kids or no kids.  People.love.cupcakes.

I was looking for a refreshing flavor to bring to my cousin's BBQ.  Something I hadn't tried before.  Immediately, I thought of key lime...the pie I've been making forever is always well received...so off I went to do some research.


Success.

I found a great key lime filling recipe and combined it with a yellow cupcake recipe I found on Food Network (thought I'd try a new one for yellow cake - yum).  Also, I had leftover mascarpone cream cheese frosting from the red velvet cupcakes I made a few days before, so I added a little more cream cheese and sugar to it to stretch it a bit.  Finish them off with some grated lime zest...


Oh my.  I really wish I made more of these.


Key Lime Cupcakes
adapted from Food Network (cake), Hoosier Homemade (filling) and Joy of Baking (frosting)

For the cake:
1 cup unsalted butter
2 cups sugar
1 1/4 teaspoons vanilla extract
4 eggs
3 cups sifted cake flour
1 tablespoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup milk


  • Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  In a mixer with a whip attachment, cream the butter until light and fluffy. Add the sugar and continue to cream. Gradually add the vanilla and eggs and mix in well. 

  • Sift together dry ingredients; then mix into the butter mixture alternating with the milk. Pour batter into cupcake paper-lined muffin tins filling them 3/4 full. Bake until puffed and firm in the center and light golden brown on top, about 20 to 25 minutes. Let cool.

  • For the filling:
  • 1 box vanilla instant pudding
    1/2 cup heavy cream
    1/4 cup key lime juice
  •  4 drops green food coloring
    1/2 cup confectioners' sugar

  • In a large bowl, beat pudding and heavy cream with a wire whisk for 2 minutes. Let stand 3 minutes. Beat in lime juice and food coloring, then stir in powdered sugar. Cover and refrigerate.

  • For the frosting:  I used the leftovers from this recipe and added more cream cheese and confectioners' sugar to stretch it.  You can use the standard recipe, or white buttercream...either would work just fine.

  • To assemble:
  • Remove cupcakes from pans and let cool completely.  Using whatever device you'd normally use to form a well in the middle of your cupcake (I used a baby spoon!), dig a hole then add filling.  Add frosting and top with lime zest.  

  • Makes 24 cupcakes.

  • Linked to: Sweet Tooth Friday
  •                 Sweet Indulgences Sunday
  •                 Mangia Mondays

Labels: , , ,

10 Comments:

At June 2, 2011 at 9:56 AM , Blogger Lauren's Latest said...

I love lime! These look perfect for summer!

 
At June 2, 2011 at 10:34 AM , Blogger Nicole said...

What a great idea! I love the filling and the frosting looks so delicious with those little lime flecks in it. I think you're right - people do love cupcakes, whether we know they are "in" or not.

 
At June 2, 2011 at 11:42 AM , Blogger Jennifer said...

Cannot wait to try these for the next BBQ we have/go to!

 
At June 2, 2011 at 2:46 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

these look amazing! make them again soon and bring them overrrrrrrrr!

 
At June 2, 2011 at 9:31 PM , Blogger Lauren at Keep It Sweet said...

I agree that people still love cupcakes! The filling inside these looks like a wonderful surprise:-)

 
At June 4, 2011 at 11:52 AM , Blogger Kim McCallie said...

I love these. I've made several key lime desserts lately and they're always so cool and refreshing. Love the filling! I'd like to invite you to share your recipe on A Well-Seasoned Life's Sweet Indulgences Sunday.

http://www.wellseasonedlife.com/2011/06/sweet-indulgences-sunday-7.html

 
At June 6, 2011 at 2:32 PM , Blogger Alexandra said...

These sound so tasty and look so colorful! Please share with our readers by linking up at Muffin (and Cupcake) Monday. Thanks!

http://www.talkingdollarsandcents.net/muffin-monday-vanilla-soy-milk-and-sour-cream-muffins

 
At June 8, 2011 at 4:18 PM , Blogger Katie @ This Chick Cooks said...

Those look so yummy and just perfect for summer cook outs. What a great idea to add the zest on the frosting. I wanted to invite you to come over and share your recipe at These Chicks Cooked Recipe Spotlight today. Have a great day :)
Katie

 
At June 9, 2011 at 3:06 PM , Blogger Allison @ Alli 'n Son said...

Oh how I adore filled-cupcakes. Great recipe for summer.

Thank you so much for linking up with Sweet Tooth Friday! I hope to see you again this week.

 
At September 15, 2011 at 8:20 PM , Blogger Jessica B said...

I made these for a bbq and they were devoured and complimented over and over. I felt guilty that it wasn't my recipe lol. But I did say it was a recipe from a great baker so credit is given where credit is due! Big hit!

 

Post a Comment

You keep commenting, I keep cooking. Simple as that.

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home