<data:blog.pageTitle/>

This Page

has moved to a new address:

http://iwasborntocook.com

Sorry for the inconvenience…

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service

Friday, May 20, 2011

More from Mexico

I love the versatility of Mexican dishes.  It's easy to tweak the recipes so that they can be made healthier, yet still taste delicious.  This is one of those dishes.  It's from Weight Watchers so I didn't even have to get that creative on my own.


If I were making this just for myself, I would have added beans.  I think they would add a nice little something extra to the dish.  Either way, try it...and have it with the polenta.  Mexican isn't always about rice!




Mexican Beef Over Polenta
from Weight Watchers


1 pound ground beef, extra lean (7% fat)
1 small onion, chopped
1 can (14.5 ounces) diced tomatoes, drained (reserve 1 tablespoon of liquid)
1 can yellow corn, drained
15 Kalamata olives, chopped
3 tablespoons chopped jalapeno peppers
3/4 teaspoon salt, divided
1/4 teaspoon cumin
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
3/4 cup polenta, quick cooking
3 cups chicken broth
1/3 cup salsa
1/3 cup shredded reduced fat cheddar cheese
1 scallion, chopped
2 tablespoons cilantro, chopped


Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Cook beef and onion, stirring frequently, until meat is fully cooked, about 5 to 7 minutes; drain off any liquid. Stir in tomatoes and reserved liquid, corn, olives, jalapenos, 1/4 teaspoon of salt, cumin and pepper; simmer 5 minutes to allow flavors to blend.


Meanwhile, in a small pot, combine cornmeal, broth and remaining 1/2 teaspoon of salt; stir well. Bring to a simmer and cook, stirring constantly, until cornmeal is thick, about 5 minutes.


Spoon polenta onto a large serving plate and top with beef mixture. Top with salsa, cheese, cilantro and scallions.


Serves 6.
WW Points+ per serving = 7


Labels: , , , ,

3 Comments:

At May 20, 2011 at 10:34 AM , Blogger VegeCooking Club said...

I have been thinking that I will start doing a few Mexican dishes soon. This one looks great! Mexican is one of the few things my hubby will eat as leftovers (otherwise I end up eating them all myself.) I have added ground beef to my grocery list!

 
At May 20, 2011 at 11:31 AM , Blogger Pam said...

I love the combination of flavors and textures in this dish - yum!

 
At May 21, 2011 at 5:48 PM , Blogger Amanda- Eating in Winnipeg said...

Happy weekend! Don't forget to come over and share a recipe at Savory Sunday!!

 

Post a Comment

You keep commenting, I keep cooking. Simple as that.

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home