<data:blog.pageTitle/>

This Page

has moved to a new address:

http://iwasborntocook.com

Sorry for the inconvenience…

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service

Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Believe the hype

I was yet again the recipient of a wonderful recipe through our latest swap.  The theme was desserts and Lisa from Lisa's Cooking Adventures submitted a fantastic Red Velvet Cake recipe from Joy of Baking.  Since I was going to my brother's house for a party this past weekend, I figured I'd kill two birds with one stone and bake it to bring there, but in cupcake form.

Here's a confession -  I don't really get the hoopla everyone makes over red velvet.  So many people I know are practically obsessed with it.  On my list of favorite cakes, I honestly don't even think it makes the top 10...even 15.  True story.

This recipe, however, may have changed my mind...just a little bit.  The cake was super moist, but what really pulled it all together was the frosting recipe.  Mascarpone AND cream cheese?  Uh, yeah, sign me up. 


If you're a chocolate lover like me, consider throwing some mini chocolate chips on top.  They add a little something special :)  

Thanks for the recipe, Lisa...red velvet was not on my radar, but I'm glad I made these...and so were my brother's guests!


Red Velvet Cupcakes with Mascarpone Cream Cheese Frosting
Slightly adapted from Lisa's Cooking Adventures, as seen on Joy of Baking

2 1/2 cups sifted cake flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons regular or Dutch-processed cocoa powder
1/2 cup unsalted butter, at room temperature
1 1/2 cups sugar
2 large eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 cup buttermilk
2 tablespoons liquid red food coloring
1 teaspoon white distilled vinegar
1 teaspoon baking soda

Cream Cheese Frosting:
1 8 ounce package cream cheese, at room temperature
1 8 ounce tub Mascarpone cheese, at room temperature
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
1 cup confectioners' sugar, sifted
1 1/2 cups heavy cream 

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  Prepare 24 cupcake tins with liners.

In a bowl, sift together the flour, salt and cocoa powder, and set aside.  Beat the butter in an electric mixer until soft, about 1-2 minutes.   Add the sugar and beat until light and fluffy, about 2-3 minutes. Add the eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition.   Scrape down the bowl, then add vanilla and beat until combined.  


In a measuring cup, whisk the buttermilk with the red food coloring.  With mixer on low, alternately add the flour mixture and buttermilk to the butter mixture, in three additions, beginning and ending with the flour.  

In a small cup combine vinegar and baking soda. Allow mixture to fizz, then quickly fold into cake batter.  Fill each cupcake 3/4 of the way.  Bake for 25 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in a cupcake comes out clean.

For the frosting:  Beat cream cheese and mascarpone in a mixer until smooth. Add vanilla and confectioners sugar and beat until smooth. Gradually add the heavy cream and whip until frosting is thick enough to spread. Add more sugar or cream as needed to get the right consistency.

Let cupcakes cool completely before frosting.  Sprinkle with mini chocolate chips.


Linked to: Sweets For A Saturday
                Sweet Treats Thursday


Labels: , ,

3 Comments:

At May 31, 2011 at 10:37 AM , Blogger Nicole said...

I'm with you on the red velvet, so maybe I need to try this and change my mind. That frosting does sound amazing. I love how pretty the cupcakes are, both inside and out.

 
At June 1, 2011 at 7:47 AM , Blogger Cooking Creation said...

Hello! I found you through fortheloveofcooking. You have a lovely blog with wonderful recipes. I'm your newest follower! :)

 
At February 13, 2012 at 10:37 AM , Blogger Unknown said...

I tried a few recipes recently & this was my absolute favorite. The frosting is so awesome with the mascarpone.

 

Post a Comment

You keep commenting, I keep cooking. Simple as that.

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home