<data:blog.pageTitle/>

This Page

has moved to a new address:

http://iwasborntocook.com

Sorry for the inconvenience…

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service

Sunday, January 9, 2011

Low carbing it

I had to get VERY creative with my food when I was pregnant.  As I've mentioned before, I had to follow a low carb diet all along - from about 6 weeks on.  Although I had the best motivator possible, it was still really, really hard...especially in the first trimester when all that would make me feel better was carbs.  Torture.

This was one of my go-to breakfast meals...what's great about it is that you can change it up based on what you're in the mood for (notice I didn't use the word "craving"...I had to delete that from my vocabulary while pregnant) and/or what you have in your kitchen.  "Crustless" is definitely a key word for low carbers - as is "eggs".  Today's version is written below, but like I said, sub any cheese, veggies and protein you like.


Crustless Quiche
6 pieces low-sodium bacon
1/2 tomato, chopped
1/2 onion, chopped
1 scallion, chopped
1 cup frozen spinach, cooked and squeezed dry
6 eggs
pepper to taste
1/4 cup fat free sour cream
1/2 cup shredded mozzarella cheese (part skim)
1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese (low fat)

Preheat oven to 325 degrees and spray a 9x9 baking pan.  Fry bacon in a skillet, plate and pat dry when finished.  Chop it up.
Dump bacon fat out of skillet but leave about a tablespoon in it.  Add tomato, onion, scallion and spinach to the pan, then bacon.  Cook on low until onion is translucent.
Beat eggs with sour cream and pepper, then add to baking pan, followed by veggie/bacon mixture, then top with cheese.  Bake for about 18 minutes or until cooked through.

Serves 4.


Labels: , , , , , , , , ,

4 Comments:

At January 9, 2011 at 11:04 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow, that must have been so hard to go carb-lite. This looks so delicious though!

 
At April 10, 2011 at 11:36 PM , Blogger kylee said...

I am on the same low carb order myself. High protein, low carb.

When all I want is pasta and potatoes... awesome.

What else you got?!

 
At January 14, 2012 at 4:53 PM , Anonymous Chris @ TheKeenanCookbook said...

Rachel and Baby Boy are getting over colds, and I didn't feel like running out to pick up food. I had the ingredients to make this (minus the scallion) so made these for lunch in muffin tins. So good! We're going to feature this in this weeks Taste Test Thursday.Thanks for a yummy lunch :)

 
At January 14, 2012 at 5:01 PM , Blogger Melissa @IWasBornToCook said...

Thanks, I'm honored! Glad you all enjoyed it...hope Rachel and Baby Boy are feeling better soon!

 

Post a Comment

You keep commenting, I keep cooking. Simple as that.

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home