<data:blog.pageTitle/>

This Page

has moved to a new address:

http://iwasborntocook.com

Sorry for the inconvenience…

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service

Friday, January 7, 2011

It's Chili out there!

Another snowy day in NJ.  Well, not the whole state, apparently...people in other areas barely got any snow, but we here in Bergen County got slammed this morning.  I don't know the official total but I'd guess 5-6 inches, and it came pretty fast.  Bella and I were out this morning for class at a play place we belong to, and driving home was scary!  Plows hadn't come out and it was close to noon.  So, comfort food was a must for dinner.

This is one of my go-to recipes for Chili Con Carne...unfortunately I have to make some changes because of the other adult in the house, who doesn't like beans or peppers.  So, I omit the cannellini beans and increase the beef to 1.5 lbs (which I'd recommend anyway, if you like a meaty chili).  I also leave out the jalapeno and just add it to my individual serving.  The rest, I leave in (otherwise you'd just lose too many flavors) and fish out, which is a real pain in the ass.  From now on I'll be separating out a portion for Frank before adding the beans.

We topped it off with cheddar cheese and chopped scallions.  Some sliced avocado would be nice too.  Frank had brown rice with his - I just added a boatload of jalapenos :)


I also have a great recipe for chili in the crockpot...figured I'd pass that along too for those who prefer the slow cooker method.  The flavors aren't as complex, but you can't beat the convenience...and it still tastes good.

I'm not normally a fan of crockpot recipes where you need to cook the meat first, but I make an exception for this one.

Crockpot Chili
from Allrecipes


2 pounds ground beef
2 (16 ounce) cans kidney beans, rinsed and drained
2 (14.5 ounce) cans diced tomatoes, undrained
1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce
2 medium onions, chopped
1 green pepper, chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 tablespoons chili powder
2 teaspoons salt
1 teaspoon pepper
Shredded Cheddar cheese

  • In a skillet, cook beef over medium heat until no longer pink; drain. Transfer to a slow cooker. Add the next nine ingredients. Cover and cook on low for 8-10 hours or on high for 4 hours. Garnish individual servings with cheese if desired.


Serves 10
WW Points+ = 5 (using 95% lean ground beef, not including cheese)

Labels: , , , , , , , , ,

1 Comments:

At January 7, 2011 at 10:49 PM , Blogger Ann said...

This chili really looks good. I'm a nervous driver in the snow. You were probably happy to get home with Bella.

 

Post a Comment

You keep commenting, I keep cooking. Simple as that.

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home