<data:blog.pageTitle/>

This Page

has moved to a new address:

http://iwasborntocook.com

Sorry for the inconvenience…

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service

Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Frank + Pasta = One happy man.

Frank would eat pasta every.single.night...and probably every day for lunch too...if it were up to him.  Don't get me wrong - I love it too - but I prefer variety (even though pasta is very versatile).

When I was pregnant, I was following a low carb diet from the beginning because of an insulin resistance disease I have (unfortunately, I still developed gestational diabetes).  THANK GOD a friend of mine told me about this so I wouldn't have to give up my love for pasta.  It's still the only type that we use in our house...so, there isn't as much guilt associated with eating it often.

I love creating new dishes with pasta...basically any protein and veggie will work.  This is one of our favorites.  Once again, Trader Joe's saves the day with many varieties of chicken sausage (the spinach, fontina, and roasted garlic variety is what we usually have) and their frozen artichoke hearts.  Quick, easy, healthy and delicious.

We RARELY have bread in our house unless there's an occasion, or unless it's low carb, OR unless we just got a kick-ass panini maker, apparently.  That's thing's gonna be dangerous.  Anyway, we have a piece of italian bread that's been here a few days so Frank requested garlic bread.



Pasta with Chicken Sausage & Artichoke Hearts
4 chicken sausage links (we usually use Trader Joe's Spinach, Fontina & Roasted Garlic Chicken Sausage, but sub whatever you like), cut into bite size chunks
2 T. extra virgin olive oil
4 garlic cloves, chopped
salt and pepper to taste
1/4 cup chicken stock
1/4 cup white wine
pat of butter
1/2 bag frozen artichoke hearts, thawed (you can also use canned)
1/2 lb. pasta, cooked according to package directions
Grated cheese (we use pecorino romano)

***once again, measurements are approximate!

Heat a large skillet, add oil and garlic, then sausage.  Add salt and pepper.  Cook over medium high heat until brown on all sides.

Add chicken stock, wine and butter, then the artichokes.  Give it a quick stir and add a bit more salt and pepper.  Turn heat to low and cook for about 10 minutes, allowing flavors to combine and liquid to reduce.  If liquid needs to be a little thicker, add a bit more butter.

Add cooked pasta to skillet and toss all ingredients together.  Top with cheese and serve.



Labels: , , , , ,

6 Comments:

At January 4, 2011 at 8:08 PM , Blogger Theresa Patch's Thirty-One said...

I am a huge fan of dreamfield pasta too, I can hardly taste the difference. Did you guys just get the rotini shaped also? They just added it to our grocery store. I can't wait to try this, I make a sausage, pepper, and onion pasta in a red sauce that's delicious, and this might be a great one to throw in too.

 
At January 4, 2011 at 8:13 PM , Blogger Melissa @IWasBornToCook said...

We've had the rotini for a while, Theresa...they must be slow down there in Florida ;) Love the stuff! I make so many different variations with this recipe - I switch out the protein and veggie/s frequently.

 
At January 4, 2011 at 9:03 PM , Blogger Frank Clare said...

I love when Melissa makes this for dinner it is one of my favorites. Tasted great and is just as good for lunch

 
At January 4, 2011 at 9:10 PM , Blogger Lisa D. said...

Looks great, Melissa. My husband is diabetic and is so stubborn about not wanting to try Dreamfields so we mostly go without pasta altogether -- will have to try again to convince him to give it a try.

 
At January 4, 2011 at 9:18 PM , Blogger Melissa @IWasBornToCook said...

Lisa, have you ever had it? Make it and don't even tell him. He will NOT know the difference, I guarantee you. Frank hated when I made whole wheat pasta, then I discovered Dreamfields and he couldn't believe it wasn't the real thing. I turned just about all of our family members onto it too.

 
At February 16, 2011 at 2:58 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

So excited to try this, my house smells sooooo good. The kids just walked in and are wondering what yummy food mom made for dinner. Love the blog Melissa, keep it up!!!

 

Post a Comment

You keep commenting, I keep cooking. Simple as that.

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home