<data:blog.pageTitle/>

This Page

has moved to a new address:

http://iwasborntocook.com

Sorry for the inconvenience…

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service

Wednesday, May 16, 2012

Polenta Sausage Bake

Lately I've been making two dinners on Monday nights.  One for Monday, one for Tuesday (since I'm in the office all day).  The Tuesday meal obviously has to be a make-ahead, so I've been getting creative some weeks for fear of boredom (we all know how much I love variety!).


This is another "Melissa special".  Another one of those meals where I check my fridge, freezer, pantry, whatever...and come up with something delicious and easy.  I actually used marinara AND vodka sauce in this dish because I had a little of both sitting in the fridge.  SO good.  Same rule applies for veggies...toss in whatever you have!


Polenta Sausage Bake
4 Italian sausage links (I used a combo of hot and sweet), cut into one inch chunks
extra virgin olive oil
1 onion, sliced
1 pound mushrooms, sliced
3 garlic cloves, chopped
salt and pepper
marinara sauce (about 2 cups)
1 tube polenta
fresh mozzarella (half a ball or more, if you want), halved and sliced
grated pecorino romano cheese

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  Place oil in a hot skillet, then add sausage.  Cook for a few minutes, then add onions and mushrooms.  Season with salt and pepper.  Add sauce and let simmer for about 5 minutes.

Meanwhile, add a little sauce to the bottom of a baking dish - enough to lightly cover the entire surface (I used a 9 inch round).  Slice polenta into 1 inch rounds and add a layer over the sauce.

Spoon the sausage mixture on top.  Top with remaining polenta, then mozzarella.  Finish with pecorino romano.

Bake for about 15-20 minutes, or until cheese is melted.



Labels: , , , , , ,

5 Comments:

At May 16, 2012 at 8:46 AM , Blogger Mary Ellen said...

I love making things like this - when you just start pulling things out of the fridge and come up with something fabulous. Looks great!!

 
At May 16, 2012 at 10:47 AM , Blogger Pam said...

This looks and sounds so fantastic!

 
At May 16, 2012 at 11:28 AM , Blogger Georgia | The Comfort of Cooking said...

I love a good breakfast bake and yours looks perfect Melissa. So comforting and warm for those cooler mornings!

 
At May 16, 2012 at 4:23 PM , Blogger Hezzi-D said...

This looks like a great meal with just a handful of ingredients!

 
At May 30, 2012 at 10:16 PM , Anonymous Jessica B. said...

I made this for dinner tonight and really enjoyed it. Thanks for sharing!

 

Post a Comment

You keep commenting, I keep cooking. Simple as that.

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home