<data:blog.pageTitle/>

This Page

has moved to a new address:

http://iwasborntocook.com

Sorry for the inconvenience…

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service

Wednesday, January 4, 2012

Happy Birthday, Dad-in-law!

Months ago, my father-in-law put in the order for his birthday cake.  He even tried getting me to make it in July for his half birthday.  As tempted as I was, I politely told him he needed to wait until December 15th.

He was kind enough to wait 10 days longer, and even kinder to share it with everyone around our Christmas Day table.


What got me super excited about his cake choice was that it's totally in my top 3.  I would have made it myself for my own birthday next month, had he not requested it.

A thing of beauty.

Chocolate + peanut butter = heaven.  In my book, at least.  And my father-in-law's.


I was worried about this cake traveling about an hour and 15 minutes to my inlaws' house, but it survived.  It may have fallen a wee bit lopsided, but it still tasted amazing!


Happy Birthday, DIL!

Reese's Peanut Butter Cup Cake
slightly adapted from Heather Drive

Chocolate cake (I used this recipe...use your favorite!), baked in two round layers
1 stick butter, at room temperature
1 cup creamy peanut butter
5 cups confectioners' sugar, sifted
1/4-1/2 cup milk, divided
Reese's peanut butter cups (mini size)...I used about 1 1/2 bags

Bake cake and let cool completely.  Place peanut butter cups in freezer for later use.

In bowl of stand mixer add butter, peanut butter and 1/8 cup milk.  Mix on slowest setting and combine well.  Slowly add confectioners' sugar, mixing on slowest setting.

Start mixing in remaining milk SLOWLY until desired consistency is reached.

Level off cake layers and place one on serving plate.  Scoop about one cup of frosting onto top of layer and spread evenly.  Take cups out of freezer and crush enough of them to add on top of frosting (about 10-12).

Place second leveled layer on top and frost cake fully.  Decorate with remaining cups as seen in photos above, or however you like!  Refrigerate until 30-60 minutes before serving.

Linked to: Tastetastic Thursday
                   Fusion Friday
                   Sweets for a Saturday


Labels: , , , ,

8 Comments:

At January 4, 2012 at 10:16 AM , Blogger Aarthi said...

lovely cake..Convey my wishes to ur dad in law

 
At January 5, 2012 at 5:15 AM , Blogger Zee said...

Delicious looking cake.. and Happy Birthday to your dad in law!

 
At January 5, 2012 at 9:16 AM , Blogger Unknown said...

Oh, my! You had me at peanut butter! Pinning this for the next reason to celebrate I can concoct :)

 
At January 5, 2012 at 10:05 AM , Blogger Dorothy @ Crazy for Crust said...

That. Looks. Amazing! I'd love for you to join my linky party, Crazy Sweet Tuesday! (The link runs through Friday.) :)

 
At January 5, 2012 at 10:54 PM , Blogger Neetu's kitchen said...

i'm drooling here....and happy birthday to your dad in law...

 
At January 7, 2012 at 5:00 PM , Blogger Winnie said...

Stunning looking cake
I have no doubt it's delicious

 
At January 8, 2012 at 10:04 AM , Anonymous sue @ cakeballs, cookies and more said...

well it looks amazing, and you were so nice to make it for your dad in law.

 
At January 8, 2012 at 10:56 AM , Anonymous GourmAndrea said...

Wow!!! Mouth watering,yummy. My bday is on April 20th ;)

 

Post a Comment

You keep commenting, I keep cooking. Simple as that.

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home