<data:blog.pageTitle/>

This Page

has moved to a new address:

http://iwasborntocook.com

Sorry for the inconvenience…

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service

Monday, December 12, 2011

The Great Food Blogger Cookie Swap!

When I first saw this advertised, I signed up immediately.  I love cookies and I LOVE surprises...it was like this swap was made especially for me! :)

Julie from The Little Kitchen and Lindsay from Love & Olive Oil pulled off the event of the year.  Hundreds of food bloggers committed to sending a dozen cookies each to 3 random bloggers, and received 3 dozen in return from 3 different bloggers.  Over 22,000 cookies were shipped!  That's 625 different bloggers, folks.  Amazing!

My contribution was a simple but delicious Italian cookie that my family has enjoyed for decades - the Italian Walnut Crescent Cookie.

In return, I got some pretty freakin' awesome cookies.  I mean, REALLY good cookies.  So good that I wasn't even able to take pics of them before they were chomped up.  Oops!

The first batch were gorgeous cookies called "Almond Joy to the World", made by Jessie who writes Body and Soul Food.   These delectable treats were incredibly moist, delicious mounds of coconut on top of chocolate with a big almond pressed on top.  SO GOOD.

The second - beautiful sugar cookies shaped and decorated like snowflakes - were from Kelly at Eat Yourself Skinny.  I have to wonder how an amazing baker like Kelly stays so skinny with the ability to make tasty cookies like that ;) They were perfection!

The final batch were delicious peanut butter cookies with a kiss plopped on top.  Yum!  Heather from Dr. Hbar's Adventures in Food was the master behind these sweets.  My love for the chocolate and peanut butter combination was easily fulfilled, thanks to her.



If you'd like to be a part of the festivities next year, submit your information here.  I highly encourage you to do so - I had a blast!  So much fun.

Now, get busy baking...add my cookies, an old family favorite, to your holiday tray!



Italian Walnut Crescent Cookies
1 cup butter, softened
3/4 cup confectioners' sugar, plus more for covering
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
1 1/4 cups ground walnuts
2 cups AP flour

Preheat oven to 325 degrees.  Line baking sheets with parchment paper.  Beat together butter and sugar until creamy, then add vanilla and walnuts.  Add flour, one cup at a time, and mix until combined.  Refrigerate for at least 2 hours.

Form crescents with small pieces of dough (about a tablespoon for each) and place on baking sheets.  Bake for about 15 minutes or until very slightly brown.  Let cool completely, then cover with confectioners' sugar.

Makes about 4 dozen.


Labels: , , , , ,

6 Comments:

At December 12, 2011 at 9:02 AM , Blogger Ayshela said...

hmmmmmm. for someone who's allergic to walnuts and hazelnuts, could pecans be substituted? or almonds? These sound amazing, and like they'd pack well, but I'd rather not give my daughter hives. ;)

 
At December 12, 2011 at 9:17 AM , Blogger Melissa @IWasBornToCook said...

Pecans or almonds would be wonderful in this cookie!

 
At December 12, 2011 at 9:23 AM , Blogger Kelly | Eat Yourself Skinny said...

These look so delicious, what a great recipe! So glad you enjoyed the sugar cookies! :)

 
At December 12, 2011 at 12:57 PM , Anonymous Renee @ The Way to My Family's Heart said...

Yum, yum, yum. Thanks so much again Melissa for the fantastic cookies!

 
At December 16, 2011 at 4:58 AM , Blogger Ayshela said...

Okay, coming back with feedback - subbed ground almonds and these are aMAZing! I can't wait to try them with pecans! =) The one question I had was how the heck you got four dozen out of this batch using a tablespoon at a time? I was using my cookie scoop, so I know I wasn't over-scooping, and I probably got half that. O.o They're wonderful, I'm just curious what type of magic you use to stretch the batch!

 
At December 16, 2011 at 7:48 AM , Blogger Melissa @IWasBornToCook said...

Glad you liked them Ayshela! I'm not sure why you only got half the batch...I did say "about" a tablespoon, so next time use a standard tablespoon and don't fill it all the way. That should make it better.

 

Post a Comment

You keep commenting, I keep cooking. Simple as that.

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home