<data:blog.pageTitle/>

This Page

has moved to a new address:

http://iwasborntocook.com

Sorry for the inconvenience…

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service

Friday, December 9, 2011

Working out the kinks

I'm trying to get into a routine now that I'm in the office two days a week.  My goal is to do one make-ahead meal, and maybe one crockpot meal, for those nights.  So far, it hasn't worked out as planned, but I'm getting there.  I just want to keep my momentum going...

I made this dish a day ahead, let it cool, covered and refrigerated it so it was ready to go the next night - it would just need to get popped in the oven.  Unfortunately, there was a problem.  The chicken didn't cook all the way!  Then I realized - I had a pan of baked ziti in at the same time.  Hello, cooking 101...duh.  So, it needed to be cooked a little longer, but no worries - it turned out just fine and reheated beautifully.  

My new situation has prompted me to start a "make ahead" tag, which is a bit different than freezer friendly, like this dish.  Just bear with me while I go through all of my recipes to make sure the appropriate ones are tagged.  Hopefully it'll help a lot of you other crazy busy ones out there.


The taste of this chicken was amazing...we loved the blend of spices used, along with the sweetness of the honey.  Delicious!

Chili Roasted Chicken and Sweet Potatoes

from Serious Eats

2 sweet potatoes, cut into chunks
1 onion, sliced
extra virgin olive oil
salt and pepper
1 tablespoon chili powder
1 teaspoon cumin
1 tablespoon honey
2 teaspoons apple cider vinegar (or a squeeze of lime juice)
6 chicken thighs, bone in, skin on

Preheat oven to 375 degrees.  Place the potatoes and onion in a 9x13 roasting pan and toss with oil, salt and pepper.

In a small bowl, combine chili powder, cumin, honey, vinegar, a tablespoon of olive oil and a pinch of salt and pepper.  Rub mixture all over chicken and place on top of potatoes.  Roast for about 55-60 minutes or until chicken is cooked through.  Midway through, turn chicken and stir potatoes.

Serves 3.

Labels: , , ,

4 Comments:

At December 9, 2011 at 8:43 AM , Anonymous Lesa @Edesia's Notebook said...

Looks delicious. I'm definitely trying this one.

 
At December 9, 2011 at 11:21 AM , Blogger Amy W said...

I've been following your blog almost since the beginning (thanks to the nest!)and i wanted to tell you how much my family has enjoyed so many of your recipes! Thanks for making dinner (and breakfast, lunch, and snacks!) more interesting at our house!

 
At December 9, 2011 at 1:30 PM , Blogger Melissa @IWasBornToCook said...

Thanks Amy, I'm happy you're all enjoying it so much!

 
At December 12, 2011 at 2:42 PM , Blogger Kristi said...

I tried this on Saturday night. It was really good. I did have to cook it for an extra 15 minutes. And I threw in some butternut squash since I had some leftover (I made the kids butternut squash risotto for dinner that night). We definitely will Ake it again. I had the leftovers for lunch today and it was really good.

 

Post a Comment

You keep commenting, I keep cooking. Simple as that.

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home