<data:blog.pageTitle/>

This Page

has moved to a new address:

http://iwasborntocook.com

Sorry for the inconvenience…

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service

Wednesday, November 16, 2011

Beans, beans, good for your heart

I love beans.  Frank doesn't love beans.

I miss beans.

I was happy to receive my assigned recipe for our latest swap, which was a one-pot meal theme.  Turkey black bean chili, you say?  Yes, please!

I cooked it up (pretty quickly, I might add) while Frank spent the night at the Jets game.  It made for a great dinner with some sour cream, cheddar cheese, scallions and a few tortilla chips.

Then I was sick for the next few days, so I added a little (oh who am I kidding...a LOT) hot sauce each time I heated it up for lunch.

There are some serious sinus clearing, throat healing properties in this dish.


Nicole from Prevention RD has some great, healthy dishes...this one is a winner, for sure.  I'll be making this again and freezing it for my dinners without the bean hater :)

Turkey & Black Bean Chili
slightly adapted from Prevention RD

1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
1 large onion, chopped
1 green bell pepper, seeded and chopped
1 red bell pepper, seeded and chopped
4 garlic cloves, chopped
1 pound ground turkey
2 (15 ounce) cans black beans, drained and rinsed
1 (28 ounce) can diced tomatoes, undrained
3 tablespoons chili powder
2 teaspoons chipotle chili powder
1 1/2 tablespoons cumin
1 teaspoon dried oregano
salt to taste

Heat oil in a dutch oven over medium high heat.  Add onion, pepper and garlic, and stir and cook until softened.

Add turkey and cook for about 3 minutes, or until no longer pink.  Stir in beans, tomatoes, chili powder, cumin, salt and oregano.  Bring to a boil.  Reduce heat and simmer, covered, until vegetables are tender (about 45 minutes).

Taste and adjust seasonings if necessary.  Spoon into bowls and add your favorite toppings.

Serves 6.



Labels: , , , , ,

7 Comments:

At November 16, 2011 at 8:16 AM , Blogger Angie's Recipes said...

That's a bowl of comfort and deliciousness!

 
At November 16, 2011 at 10:22 AM , Blogger Sarah - The Home Cook said...

So glad this was a hit for you. How did I know it would be? ;)

Thanks for being part of the recipe swaps!

 
At November 16, 2011 at 10:24 AM , Blogger Sprigs of Rosemary said...

I'm with you on beans. I could eat all kinds, all the time. There's one kind that I'm shocked I've never made before myself -- lentils. I'll be sharing that one after the holiday.

 
At November 17, 2011 at 7:54 AM , Blogger Joanne said...

Haha I practically live off of beans and I never understand when people say they don't like them! What a great chili...Nicole really is awesome!

 
At November 17, 2011 at 8:06 AM , Anonymous Elena said...

I can eat beans and chili day and night. I love the taste.

 
At November 18, 2011 at 10:32 AM , Anonymous Nicole, RD said...

I'm so glad you liked the chili, Melissa!

And I just read your post about returning to work - that's so exciting!! Congrats!

 
At November 30, 2011 at 3:34 PM , Blogger Christine knapkins_com said...

Hey Melissa, your Bean Chili is a Recipe Guessing Game on Knapkins. Think your friends can win? http://knapkins.com/guess_games/892?source=blog

 

Post a Comment

You keep commenting, I keep cooking. Simple as that.

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home