<data:blog.pageTitle/>

This Page

has moved to a new address:

http://iwasborntocook.com

Sorry for the inconvenience…

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service

Friday, November 4, 2011

In it for the long haul

Our latest recipe swap's theme was side dishes you'd serve for Thanksgiving dinner.  I have to say, I was a bit intrigued when I received my assignment, submitted by Ashley from Cheese Curd in Paradise.  It was a recipe she got from Pioneer Woman, and it was quite a commitment.  9 HOURS to cook mushrooms?  On the stove?  Wow!

Knowing it would just be us for dinner, I cut the recipe in half, and figured the cooking time would decrease as a result.  So, the changes I made are reflected in my adapted version below, and yes, it was plenty of time to complete them.

Honestly, we weren't big fans of this dish.  It was good, but again, for the length of time it took we weren't blown away by it.  I guess if you're serving it on Thanksgiving and know you'll be home all day then it's no big deal, but I wouldn't suggest altering your normal weekday routine to make it.  There are lots of mushroom dishes that can be made in a fraction of the time that taste just as good or even better.

Also, the original recipe from PW says to add salt...I didn't, because I used salted butter, but even without the added amount this was still REALLY salty!  So I'd recommend not adding any more, for sure.  You might even want to use unsalted butter.

And yes, they're supposed to be this dark!


Burgundy Mushrooms
adapted from Cheese Curd in Paradise

2 pounds whole button mushrooms
1 stick butter
1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
1/2 bottle red wine (I used merlot)
1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
1 cup boiling water
4 beef bouillon cubes
1/2 teaspoon dill seed
4 cloves garlic, peeled and left whole

Wipe the mushrooms down and place them in a large pot.  Add the remaining ingredients and stir to combine.

Bring to a boil over medium-high heat, then reduce to low and simmer, covered, for 4 hours.  Remove the lid and continue cooking for another hour.  Serve.


Labels: ,

7 Comments:

At November 4, 2011 at 9:18 AM , Blogger Cheese Curd In Paradise said...

A different recipe for sure! Sorry you didn't like them! We must have different tastes... I didn't use salt either- seemed like overkill. :)

 
At November 4, 2011 at 10:03 AM , Blogger Sarah - The Home Cook said...

Yikes. 9 hours is a long time. I'm sorry it wasn't worth the wait.

Thanks for being part of the recipe swap!

 
At November 4, 2011 at 8:17 PM , Blogger Joanne said...

I'm so glad you were honest about this dish...it's so refreshing to hear someone say they DON'T like a dish for a change. Sometimes that's real life!

 
At November 6, 2011 at 7:14 AM , Blogger Ben said...

Thanks for your straight-forward candor, Melissa. I like mushrooms very much, and this looks like it was worth a try. This really shows the value of reader comments for a recipe; when I'm researching recipes, even from reliable sources, I go to sites that include reader comments and spend as much time going through those as I spend with the recipe itself.

Ben
http://kissthecook-ben.blogspot.com/

 
At November 6, 2011 at 3:10 PM , Blogger Liz said...

I love mushrooms. I think I will have to try it!

 
At November 7, 2011 at 4:19 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Way to keep it real! Thank you!

 
At January 2, 2012 at 4:17 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yes, thank you for your candor. Many of PW's recipes are less than stellar and some in fact are downright failures, but since she censors her comments, one never knows the truth until a site like yours publishes it.

 

Post a Comment

You keep commenting, I keep cooking. Simple as that.

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home