<data:blog.pageTitle/>

This Page

has moved to a new address:

http://iwasborntocook.com

Sorry for the inconvenience…

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service

Monday, June 4, 2012

Quinoa Pilaf (Secret Recipe Club)


Another month has gone by - time once again for my Secret Recipe Club post!  This month's assignment was a great blog called Kitchen Trial & Error.  Kate's recipes were a lot of fun to browse, and I found myself having a hard time choosing between several.  

I came very close to baking these delicious bars but instead, opted for a healthy side dish to have with fish for dinner.  I made this very early in the month and since then, we've had quinoa three more times.  It's becoming a favorite in this house! 


This dish couldn't be any easier.  It's a great substitute for the usual rice.  Full of protein and fiber, yet nice and light - perfect for summer!


Delicious!

Check out Kate's blog for some great recipes...there are certainly plenty to choose from!

Quinoa Pilaf
slightly adapted from Kitchen Trial & Error

2 tablespoons butter
2 tablespoons onion, finely chopped 
1 cup quinoa
2 cups chicken stock

Heat stock to a boil and keep warm.  Meanwhile, heat butter in a saucepan over medium low heat.  Add onion and saute until soft, about 3-4 minutes.

Rinse and drain quinoa, then add to saucepan with onion and stir until toasted, about 3 minutes.  Stir in stock and season with salt.  Turn heat to low, cover and cook for about 17 minutes.

Fluff with a fork before serving.  Top with chopped scallions, if desired.





Labels: , , ,

12 Comments:

At June 4, 2012 at 12:18 PM , Blogger Donna Elick said...

Love Kate's blog. This quinoa looks simple and delicious! Book marking.

 
At June 4, 2012 at 12:48 PM , Blogger Kate said...

hi melissa - this quinoa pilaf was our introduction to quinoa too! now i can't get enough. i'm glad you liked it. :)

 
At June 4, 2012 at 12:52 PM , Blogger Jaida said...

Yum, yum, yum!! I love Quinoa - great pick for SRC!

 
At June 4, 2012 at 1:34 PM , Blogger Amy Anderson said...

Sounds like a great summer side dish!

If you haven't already, I'd love it if you'd check out my SRC pick this month: Dark Chocolate S’mores Pie!

 
At June 4, 2012 at 2:06 PM , Blogger Susie said...

I love quinoa, and this looks like a great simple recipe for a weeknight dinner...I always feel so stumped when I look at the bare stuff...

 
At June 4, 2012 at 2:18 PM , Blogger Lisa~~ said...

What a great alternative for rice pilaf, looks wonderful.

If you haven't already, I'd love for you to check out my SRC entry Candied Popcorn.

Lisa~~
Cook Lisa Cook

 
At June 4, 2012 at 5:58 PM , Blogger Kim Bee said...

This is truly gorgeous. It just looks so fresh and light. Plus it's pretty which I totally appreciate.

 
At June 4, 2012 at 8:31 PM , Blogger Shelby said...

I love how simple food that is healthy can be so delicious!

 
At June 5, 2012 at 2:51 AM , Blogger Veronica Miller said...

What a great alternative to rice pilaf, quinoa adds more nutrition. Love it! Great photo, too.

 
At June 5, 2012 at 2:58 AM , Blogger Lisa said...

So few ingredients, yet such a lovely, fluffy main or side dish. I have yet to try quinoa, but this would be one of the great places to start! Fantastic choice from Kate's blog!

 
At June 5, 2012 at 11:22 AM , Anonymous Lesa @Edesias Notebook said...

I have yet to try quinoa, but I have no idea why. This looks like a great "intro" recipe, and I'll definitely have to try it!

 
At July 29, 2012 at 1:56 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

After looking over a handful of the blog posts on your site,
I really appreciate your technique of writing a blog. I
added it to my bookmark website list and will be checking
back in the near future. Please visit my web site too and let me know how you
feel.
my website :: cool articles about health

 

Post a Comment

You keep commenting, I keep cooking. Simple as that.

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home