<data:blog.pageTitle/>

This Page

has moved to a new address:

http://iwasborntocook.com

Sorry for the inconvenience…

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service

Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Banana Cream Pie with Vanilla Wafer Crust

My niece Maddie celebrated her 11th birthday a few weeks ago.  As per our family tradition since my blog started, I asked her what kind of cake she wanted me to make.

Last year I made her a delicious strawberry shortcake and this year, she followed along with more fruity goodness.  Unlike just about every other 11 year old on the planet, little miss Maddie doesn't like chocolate...and it definitely makes me question the fact that we're related :)

So, because no gathering with my family is small, I had to make the pie into more of a cake size dessert (I doubled the recipe below in order to adapt it to a 9x13 pan).  Still, the words couldn't fit using whipped cream, so initials had to suffice.

This is one delicious dessert.  The custard is phenomenal.  The crust is to die for.  All in all, it was a big hit!

Unfortunately though, it isn't very pretty...

I have to admit, I wasn't very excited about Maddie's choice when she first gave it to me, but this was a pleasant surprise.  Really, really good!  I'll definitely be making it again soon.

Happy Birthday, Maddie!


Banana Cream Pie with Vanilla Wafer Crust
adapted from Prepared Pantry

for the crust:
2 cups crushed vanilla wafers (use a plastic bag and rolling pin for best results)
1 tablespoon sugar
6 tablespoons butter, melted

for the filling:
3 bananas, sliced
2/3 cup sugar
1/4 cup AP flour
1 tablespoon cornstarch
1/4 teaspoon salt
2 cups milk (I used 1%)
4 egg yolks
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
2 tablespoons butter

Place crushed wafers in a 9 inch deep dish pie pan.  Add sugar and stir to combine.  Add melted butter and mix to distribute evenly.  Press mixture evenly throughout pan.  Place in freezer while preparing filling.

Place dry filling ingredients in a saucepan.  Add milk and whisk together, followed by egg yolks.  Cook over low heat, stirring regularly, until mixture is thick and just begins to bubble.  Add butter and vanilla and stir.

Let cool for 15 minutes.  Spread banana slices along crust then pour filling over it.  Let chill for several hours.

Linked to:  Sweets for a Saturday


Labels: , ,

5 Comments:

At March 20, 2012 at 8:03 AM , Blogger Joanne said...

She DOESN'T LIKE CHOCOLATE?!?!? Hmm. Interesting. I'm always a bit iffy about banana desserts but this looks like a real winner!

 
At March 20, 2012 at 1:51 PM , Anonymous Lacy @ NYCityEats said...

Aw! Cute post! Happy Bday Maddie! I've always shyed away from the banana cream pie and I'm not really sure why that is. I love bananas and cream and who doesn't love wafers! I clearly have to try this out!

 
At March 21, 2012 at 11:06 AM , Blogger Andrea said...

I bet this was just lovely. I think my kids would love it. thanks for sharing.

 
At March 24, 2012 at 6:50 AM , Anonymous Choc Chip Uru said...

What an exquisite pie for a *sniff* non-chocolate lover ;)
This looks sublime!

Cheers
Choc Chip Uru
Latest: Colossal Caramel Peanut Monster Cookies

 
At March 29, 2012 at 10:17 AM , Blogger The Daily Smash said...

These look yummy. Just found your blog its so fun.. Come and check out my blog


www.thedailysmash101.blogspot.com

Have a great day

 

Post a Comment

You keep commenting, I keep cooking. Simple as that.

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home