<data:blog.pageTitle/>

This Page

has moved to a new address:

http://iwasborntocook.com

Sorry for the inconvenience…

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service

Saturday, January 7, 2012

Cuban Chicken Soup (Sopa de Pollo)

It's Crazy Cooking Challenge time again!  This month, the "topic" was well suited for this time of year - chicken soup.  Perfect!

I had a bunch of ideas floating around my head, until this came along...


Yum.  Seriously...YUM.

This soup has many great qualities.

1- it's very easy to make
2- it uses mainly pantry items
3- it's guaranteed to cure all ailments (not that we were sick when we had it...but I know from my Cuban sis-in-law that most things Cuban will)
4- it's cheap to make
5- it's DELICIOUS!


Wish I made some more...

I took these pictures right after the soup finished cooking.  By the next day, when I heating some up for lunch (mmmm), it had thickened up a bit.  It was even better that way!  Just a warning - the more pasta you add, the thicker it will get - so keep that in mind when cooking.

Photobucket

Another fun challenge in the books!  Check out all of the other crazy contributions below...

Cuban Chicken Soup (Sopa de Pollo)
slightly adapted from Best Cuban Recipes

6 chicken thighs, bone in, skinned
6 cups water
1 medium onion, chopped
1 tablespoon tomato paste
3 garlic cloves, minced
1/4 teaspoon oregano
2 potatoes, peeled and quartered 
1 carrot, peeled and chopped
fine noodles (I used thin spaghetti...about 1 cup, broken in half)
1/4 teaspoon saffron
1/2 cup lemon juice (close to 2 lemons, depending on size)
salt and pepper

Salt chicken lightly.  Add water, chicken, tomato paste, onion, garlic and oregano to large pot.  Bring to boil, then reduce to low, cover and simmer for 30 minutes.

Add potatoes and carrots.  Cover and simmer another 30 minutes, or until potatoes are tender.  Add noodles, saffron, lemon juice salt and pepper and cook until pasta is tender.  

Serves 6-8.

Labels: , , , ,

19 Comments:

At January 7, 2012 at 12:15 PM , Anonymous Lesa @Edesia's Notebook said...

I love the Cuban take on chicken noodle soup! Looks delicious. Great choice.

 
At January 7, 2012 at 1:35 PM , Blogger Kristen said...

This sounds delightfully different that the normal chicken noodle soup.

 
At January 7, 2012 at 1:48 PM , Anonymous Corina said...

I don't know anything about Cuban food but this sounds gorgeous.

 
At January 7, 2012 at 2:47 PM , Blogger Angie's Recipes said...

The soup looks so warming and tasty!

 
At January 7, 2012 at 3:08 PM , Blogger Leah Beyer said...

What a yummy soup. Love the flavor combinations. So glad you found this soup!

 
At January 7, 2012 at 4:54 PM , Blogger Lisa~~ said...

Looks and sounds delicious!

If you haven't already, I'd love for you to check out my Crazy Cooking Challenge entry: Thai Chicken Noodle Soup

Lisa~~
Cook Lisa Cook

 
At January 7, 2012 at 5:21 PM , Anonymous Patty said...

This does sound delicious! Thanks for stopping by my blog :)

 
At January 7, 2012 at 8:13 PM , Blogger Chats the Comfy Cook said...

I make chicken soup weekly and I am starting to vary my recipes. This one would certainly be a different one. Thanks for sharing this yummy soup.

 
At January 7, 2012 at 11:33 PM , Blogger Jennifer said...

Cheap and easy. Love it!

 
At January 8, 2012 at 12:31 AM , Anonymous farida said...

The Amazing Blog and great recipe i love soup that looks so fresh and yummy, want to try make it soon. Thanks for share.

http://fbfresh.blogspot.com

 
At January 8, 2012 at 4:27 AM , Blogger Patricia @ ButterYum said...

I bet the saffron adds amazing flavor! I hope you'll stop by to visit my CCC post for Southwestern Chicken Noodle Soup. Take care!

:)
ButterYum

 
At January 8, 2012 at 7:25 PM , Blogger Teri said...

I love the saffron in the recipe! And the thin spaghetti! What a great recipe! Thanks!

 
At January 9, 2012 at 5:57 PM , Blogger Tina @ MOMS CRAZY COOKING said...

Love all these different versions of the ole' fashion chicken noodle soup!

I made Creamy Chicken Noodle Soup (traditional)! #1 in the linky party, come by and visit if you get the chance!

Thanks again for participating in my challenge!

 
At January 10, 2012 at 1:43 PM , Blogger Melissa said...

What a great twist! This looks delicious!

 
At January 10, 2012 at 7:30 PM , Blogger Tabby said...

Your soup is a different take.....love it!
#48

 
At January 19, 2012 at 10:42 PM , Anonymous Chris said...

Hi Melissa, this looks like a really good recipe for Cuban chicken soup. I'm going to have to try this one soon, it's just perfect for our wintry weather. Thanks for sharing. I have recently found your blog and am now following you, and will visit often. Please stop by my blog and perhaps you would like to follow me also. Have a wonderful day. Hugs, Chris
http://chelencarter-retiredandlovingit.blogspot.com/

 
At March 25, 2012 at 8:56 PM , Anonymous Harriet said...

Loved this soup!!! All I can say is YUM!!! It is a keeper in my repertoire now.....I did sub chicken breast, but the lemon and saffron gave it such great flavor...........Thanks for the recipe!!!!

 
At January 10, 2013 at 9:29 PM , Blogger SRB said...

I'm about to try this recipe and have a question about the saffron -- I bought saffron threads. Is that what you intend to be used in this recipe? If so, how does that translate to 1/4 tsp? Thanks!

 
At January 10, 2013 at 9:32 PM , Blogger Melissa @IWasBornToCook said...

I just broke up the threads a little so that I could measure.

 

Post a Comment

You keep commenting, I keep cooking. Simple as that.

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home