<data:blog.pageTitle/>

This Page

has moved to a new address:

http://iwasborntocook.com

Sorry for the inconvenience…

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service

Monday, December 5, 2011

Veggin' out (Secret Recipe Club)

Every month I get more and more excited about the Secret Recipe Club.  I impatiently wait for my blog assignment, then hurry over to see all the fun recipes I have to choose from.  Kinda like a foodie version of Christmas :)

Going through the recipes in my assigned blog, An Opera Singer in the Kitchen, was fun!  The majority of them in Noelle's blog are vegan, vegetarian and gluten free...so, not exactly how I cook on a regular basis.  There were a few that stood out, and I finally chose one that proved to be a winner.  

Chickpeas are a big favorite of mine, and not something I get to enjoy very often since Frank isn't a big fan of them.  So, I saved this dish for when I was home alone for dinner, then had some left over for a few lunches.  I love the fact that this is a warm salad...and a spicy one, too!  Right up my alley.  


The tahini dressing was SO good!  Of course, I had to add a little extra garlic to it (and to the salad!).  I'll definitely try it out with other dishes.  I was very happy with this salad...thanks Noelle!

Warm Sweet Potato & Chickpea Salad
slightly adapted from An Opera Singer in the Kitchen

1 large sweet potato, peeled and cubed
3 garlic cloves, minced
2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
2 pinches sea salt
1 (15 ounce) can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
1/2 yellow onion, chopped
1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
Tahini Goddess Dressing (see recipe below)

Preheat oven to 425 degrees.  Combine potato, garlic, cayenne, oil and salt in a bowl.  Toss until potato is evenly coated.  Roast on a baking sheet for 20-25 minutes, or until soft.  

Let cool, then put in a bowl and add chickpeas, onion and parsley.  Toss with 1/3 cup dressing.  Serve.

Serves 2.

Tahini Goddess Dressing
3 cloves garlic, chopped
1 teaspoon kosher salt
1/2 cup tahini
4 teaspoons soy sauce
2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
2 teaspoons agave nectar
1/3 cup water
2 tablespoons chopped parsley

Place all ingredients except parsley in a food processor and blend until smooth.  Add parsley at end and mix well.

Makes 1 cup.


Labels: , , , , ,

9 Comments:

At December 5, 2011 at 11:49 AM , Anonymous Lesa @Edesia's Notebook said...

Looks tasty. Great choice.

 
At December 5, 2011 at 12:46 PM , Blogger singerinkitchen said...

Yum! SO glad you liked it! :D

 
At December 5, 2011 at 1:00 PM , Blogger Chats the Comfy Cook said...

What a fabulous choice. I could see us eating this. Good ingredients and good recipe - a winner.

 
At December 5, 2011 at 1:25 PM , Anonymous judee @ Gluten Free A-Z said...

I love your vegetarian choice. Interesing idea to add the tahini dressing! It looks really good.

 
At December 5, 2011 at 2:30 PM , Blogger Lisa said...

What a delicious dish. I'm all for healthy choices.

 
At December 6, 2011 at 7:25 AM , Blogger Joanne said...

This is exactly my kind of salad! That dressing sounds super delicious...I'm SUCH a tahini fan.

 
At December 6, 2011 at 8:39 AM , Anonymous AmandaP said...

This looks like the perfect dish to bring to game night, easy, healthy, and filling!

 
At January 27, 2012 at 4:18 PM , Blogger Melissa said...

I made this for the WC healthy recipe swap. This was a great dish. I loved that it was a little spicy! Thanks for sharing! :)

 
At January 27, 2012 at 4:19 PM , Blogger Melissa said...

I made this for the WC healthy recipe swap. This was a great dish. I loved that it was a little spicy! Thanks for sharing! :)

 

Post a Comment

You keep commenting, I keep cooking. Simple as that.

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home