<data:blog.pageTitle/>

This Page

has moved to a new address:

http://iwasborntocook.com

Sorry for the inconvenience…

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service

Monday, September 12, 2011

A simple bar (Secret Recipe Club)

How was everyone's weekend?  Mine was a busy one.  We had Bella's 3rd birthday party yesterday - a brunch gathering with immediate family.  Lots of fun, and lots of food, as usual!  I'll be showcasing a good portion of it this week, including Bella's birthday cake :)

Month 2 of participation for me in The Secret Recipe Club proved to be fun, once again.  My assignment was Yumsilicious Bakes, a blog that I wasn't familiar with until now.  Avanika is a young woman from Mumbai who has some pretty fun stuff in there that she's baked - make sure to check it out!

As I browsed through her recipes, I realized that I needed something additional to make for Bella's brunch.  Something sweet...something non-chocolaty...something to satisfy the sweet tooth with a small bite.  The bars that I chose seemed to be the perfect solution.

I made several changes to the recipe that Avanika posted, which are all reflected below.  Obviously, you can use whatever flavor preserves you like.  I chose apricot, well, just because.  And I'm glad I did.  Yum.


Apricot Walnut Bars
heavily adapted from Yumsilicious Bakes

1/2 cup (1 stick) butter, slightly softened
1 cup AP flour
2/3 cup chopped walnuts
3/4 cup sugar
1 egg
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1 cup (approximately) apricot preserves (I used reduced sugar)

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  Grease an 8x8 square pan.  Combine all ingredients besides preserves in a bowl and mix.

Press half of the mixture into the pan, forming a crust.  Add the preserves evenly over the top.  Sprinkle remaining mixture on top.  Bake for about 35 minutes.  Cool before cutting.



Labels: , , ,

19 Comments:

At September 12, 2011 at 8:15 AM , Blogger Joanne said...

bar desserts really are some of my favorites, especially if they have a fruity twist to them! These look great!

 
At September 12, 2011 at 8:44 AM , Anonymous Heather said...

These look really good and so easy to put together! Love apricot too.

 
At September 12, 2011 at 8:55 AM , Anonymous Astrid said...

those bars sure look yummy!

 
At September 12, 2011 at 8:57 AM , Anonymous Ilke said...

I like bars for breakfast, you picked a good recipe to try! I like apricot addition, not so conventional.

 
At September 12, 2011 at 10:26 AM , Anonymous Shumaila said...

Not only do they look and sound great, these bars seem so simple to make! Great pick for SRC!

 
At September 12, 2011 at 10:38 AM , Anonymous Jaida said...

Yum!! These look and sound great!!

 
At September 12, 2011 at 11:19 AM , Blogger Carolyn said...

These sound so great to me, I love walnuts and I love apricots. Great pick from your assigned blog!

 
At September 12, 2011 at 12:40 PM , Blogger Barbara Bakes said...

Sounds like a great, easy bar cookie. I made some blackberry jam this would be great with.

 
At September 12, 2011 at 12:48 PM , Blogger Deeba PAB said...

I love bar cookies, and your choice looks GREAT Melissa! Must make these soon! The kids are gonna love 'em!

 
At September 12, 2011 at 4:51 PM , Anonymous Hezzi-D said...

I love apricot but I have trouble finding recipes that have it in there. These bars look simple and delicious.

 
At September 12, 2011 at 8:20 PM , Blogger Lisa~~ said...

I love easy bar recipes like this and apricot with walnuts sounds delicious.

If you haven't already, I'd love for you to check out my SRC recipe this month: Welsh Cakes.

Lisa~~
Cook Lisa Cook

 
At September 12, 2011 at 10:13 PM , Anonymous Kimby said...

These bars sound perfect for fall -- or anytime! I'm enjoying these "Secret Recipe" posts very much. So many great ideas -- so many great cooks!

 
At September 12, 2011 at 11:21 PM , Blogger Trisha said...

These bars look like a nice quick fix when your craving something freshly baked!

 
At September 13, 2011 at 12:08 AM , Blogger Sara said...

Yum, these bars look delicious - a great choice for this month! :)

 
At September 13, 2011 at 6:26 PM , Anonymous Katherine Martinelli said...

Love these! They look seriously tempting.

 
At September 13, 2011 at 8:32 PM , Blogger Shelby said...

Sometimes something very simple can turn out to be the very best! I tend to go apricot or peach preserves when I make a bar like this. I agree, Yum!

 
At September 16, 2011 at 2:12 PM , Anonymous Lisa said...

Love apricots and don't eat the fresh, dried or preserves nearly as much as I want to and should, since other fruits always take me off the path. These are the perfect 'crumble' bars, and so siple to make. I've got a jar of apricot preserves waiting :)

 
At September 29, 2011 at 5:00 AM , Blogger Unknown said...

Great pick :) You really changed the recipe up, but it looks fab. I think I need to try your version :D

 
At October 17, 2011 at 12:35 AM , Blogger Colie's Kitchen said...

Hi this is Nicole from Colie’s Kitchen I just discovered your blog and wanted to drop by and say hi. I am now a new follower. I would love to have you stop by Colie’s Kitchen if you get a chance. www.colieskitchen.com

 

Post a Comment

You keep commenting, I keep cooking. Simple as that.

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home