<data:blog.pageTitle/>

This Page

has moved to a new address:

http://iwasborntocook.com

Sorry for the inconvenience…

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service

Monday, September 19, 2011

For my favorite 3 year old!

Bella had a great birthday...or should I say, birthMONTH.  We celebrated on the actual day (September 2nd), had a party on the 11th, and finally, an in-school celebration last week.  Fun, fun, fun!

I thought I'd surprise her with what I planned on baking for both occasions, and chose a theme that has become a favorite recently.  She was so happy with them...I can't wait to see her face the day we finally make it down to Disneyworld :)

Using this cake pan, along with a little pink, I transformed Mickey into Minnie.  I used a boxed mix (chocolate, but you can use whatever you like) for the cake, Wilton's icing recipe (see recipe below) crushed chocolate cookies and pink and black colored gels on top.


The white part is icing that was applied with a star tip.  For the ears and top/sides of the face, I decided to use cookie crumbs instead of coloring the frosting black because, well, we all know how messy black frosting can be.  So, I spread a thin layer of the frosting on those areas, which helped the crumbs stick to the cake.  It worked out well - I also think it's better because it gives it different texture, too.

I used the black gel for her eyes, the outline of her nose, and her mouth.  I filled her nose in with cookie crumbs.  Then, I used the pink gel for her eyelashes and tongue.

Add a bow, and there you go! :)  The perfect Minnie birthday cake.  This was for her family party (it served around 20)...we really enjoyed it.

As for the cupcakes, I saw this cute idea and became inspired.  I actually found red liners with white polka dots, so I didn't have to make my own.  After icing the cupcakes (same recipe I used for the cake, and this time, I used yellow cake mix), I sprinkled chocolate cookie crumbs on top.  Then, using toothpicks, I stuck the "ears" on (Oreos).

I didn't have one, but if you have a small round cookie cutter, I recommend using it to cut the cookies before  adding them to the cupcakes.  Otherwise, as you can see, the ears look a little big, lol.


I dropped these off at school for her class party...the teachers told me they were a big hit with the kids.


Now, someone, please tell me - where did my baby go?

Wilton Buttercream Icing
from Wilton

1/2 cup vegetable shortening
1/2 cup (one stick) butter
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract (the original recipe suggests clear, but I used dark)
4 cups sifted confectioners' sugar (Whoops!  Didn't realize they said to sift it until just now!  I didn't...and it was fine)
2 tablespoons milk

In a mixing bowl, combine shortening and butter.  Mix until fluffy, then add vanilla.  Add sugar, one cup at a time, at medium speed.  Make sure to scrape sides of bowl often.

Icing will appear dry after all sugar is added.  Add milk and beat at medium speed until light and fluffy.

Refrigerate until ready to use (can be stored in fridge for 2 weeks) in an airtight container.  Rewhip before using.

Linked to:  This Chick Cooked
                  Sweet Tooth Friday




Labels: , , , ,

8 Comments:

At September 19, 2011 at 8:08 AM , Blogger Lishie said...

Cookie crumbs instead of black food coloring = brilliance :)

Love the cupcakes- what kid wouldn't want a cupcake + TWO cookies? LOL

 
At September 19, 2011 at 1:22 PM , Anonymous Nicole@HeatOvenTo350 said...

What cute treats! Happy birthday to Bella!

 
At September 19, 2011 at 1:30 PM , Anonymous Krystal said...

What a fabulous cake and cupcakes!! Great job mama Melissa!

 
At September 19, 2011 at 2:18 PM , Blogger Amy@ MomsToolbox said...

I love those cupcakes!! Just pinned them on Pinterest. :)

 
At September 19, 2011 at 2:28 PM , Blogger Melissa @IWasBornToCook said...

Thanks everyone! :)

 
At September 19, 2011 at 5:29 PM , Anonymous Hezzi-D said...

Your cake is adorable! I'm sure Bella loved it!

 
At September 21, 2011 at 5:23 AM , Blogger Curious Cook said...

Aweee..Belated Birthday Wishes to your little cupcake. Speaking of which, those cupcakes were so clever. Its no wonder they were such a hit with her friends. Cant wait to bake them myself. :) :)

 
At September 23, 2011 at 4:14 PM , Blogger Erin said...

Absolutely adorable cake! (And 3 year old too!) =o)

 

Post a Comment

You keep commenting, I keep cooking. Simple as that.

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home