<data:blog.pageTitle/>

This Page

has moved to a new address:

http://iwasborntocook.com

Sorry for the inconvenience…

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service

Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Jewish Penicillin (Daring Cooks)

Another month, another Daring Cooks challenge.  As soon as I read this one, I knew what I'd be making...a dish that I hadn't made in a while, one that I could easily call my Jewish pasta e fagioli.   It's homecooking, comfort, and warmth all wrapped into one bowl.


Peta, of the blog Peta Eats, was our lovely hostess for the Daring Cook’s September 2011 challenge, “Stock to Soup to Consommé”. We were taught the meaning between the three dishes, how to make a crystal clear Consommé if we so chose to do so, and encouraged to share our own delicious soup recipes!


So yeah, I took the easy way out and didn't make the consomme.  It's been a busy month.  I'll leave it at that. 


I made use my usual stock recipe, although I added fresh dill instead of my usual parsley.


And then, I made matzo balls.  (I consulted with a good friend who is Jewish to make sure I was using one of the correct spellings for matzo, by the way...she verified that this way is fine).  The consomme wasn't mandatory for the challenge, but making an accompaniment for the soup...noodles, dumplings, bread, crackers, etc. was.  Perfect.


Coincidentally, Frank wasn't feeling well the day I made this.  After a big bowl, he got a little pep back in his step.  Funny how that happens.  This stuff is like magic.


This is the perfect recipe to have handy now that flu season is about to begin.  Or when you just feel like you're in the comforts of home.  Enjoy!


Matzo Ball Soup
using my stock recipe, matzo ball recipe slightly adapted from Judaism 101

Chicken stock
1/2 cup matzo meal
2 eggs
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
pepper

Make stock.  While simmering, combine eggs and oil, then add matzo meal and some pepper.  Stir until an even consistency is achieved.  Place in refrigerator and let chill for about 15 minutes.


Wet hands and roll matzo mixture into balls, about an inch thick.  Bring stock to a boil and add balls, then reduce to simmer.  Cook for about 20 minutes, covered.


Linked to:  This Chick Cooks




Labels: , , ,

5 Comments:

At September 14, 2011 at 9:47 AM , Blogger The Garlic Press said...

I made chicken soup and matzo balls for the challenge too. Homemade matzo balls -- what a revelation!

 
At September 14, 2011 at 11:10 AM , Blogger Aarthi said...

Wow...they look really tempting and yummy..

Thanks for the recipe dear...
Aarthi
http://yummytummy-aarthi.blogspot.com/

 
At September 14, 2011 at 11:12 AM , Anonymous Miss Nirvana said...

Yum! Your soups excellent. Good job on this challenge.

 
At September 14, 2011 at 7:52 PM , Blogger Jenni said...

Great job on this month's challenge! Your stock looks super, and your matzo balls sound great!

 
At September 15, 2011 at 8:54 AM , Anonymous Lisa said...

So glad you're inspiring people to make their own matzo balls! They are so much better than the ones from the mix or from the store!

 

Post a Comment

You keep commenting, I keep cooking. Simple as that.

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home