<data:blog.pageTitle/>

This Page

has moved to a new address:

http://iwasborntocook.com

Sorry for the inconvenience…

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service

Tuesday, August 16, 2011

For Frank...and Mikey.

The food blogging community is a tight knit group.  Although I've only met a handful of women in real life, it's very easy to feel like you know someone through their writing, your banter, and the common passion that we all share.  It's an amazing collection of people.

I've been following In Jennie's Kitchen for a while now.  Last week, Jennie's husband, Mikey, suddenly passed away after suffering from a heart attack.  Reading the few tweets and posts that she wrote since it happened really pulled at my heart strings.  Knowing the children are suffering, knowing Jennie is mourning her great love...it's devastating.

One of Jennie's posts last week was an eye opener for myself as well as many others.

I kept telling myself I would make it for him tomorrow. Time has suddenly stood still, though, and I'm waiting to wake up and learn to live a new kind of normal. For those asking what they can do to help my healing process, make a peanut butter pie this Friday and share it with someone you love. Then hug them like there's no tomorrow because today is the only guarantee we can count on.


I was unable to bake on Friday, but took note of all the peanut butter pies (and variations) that were made throughout the blogosphere.  It was truly amazing and touching.  


Appreciating the message that Jennie sent out, and taking into consideration that Frank doesn't eat peanut butter, I decided to make his favorite dessert on Sunday - a dessert he's been asking me to make for a while. 
Why haven't I made it sooner?  Good question.  I really don't know.


Listen to Jennie's message - I'm glad I did, and I know Frank was too :)  Jennie, you're in our prayers.  Stay strong.  


Quick Tiramisu Trifles
adapted from Baked Bree

1/4 pound mascarpone cheese
1/2 cup heavy cream
1/4 cup sugar
8 lady fingers (approximately - you may need more or less, depending on what dishes you use)
3/4 cup espresso
1 1/2 tablespoons marsala wine
cocoa powder

In a bowl, combine mascarpone, cream and sugar.  Beat or whisk until stiff.

Add marsala to espresso and quickly soak ladyfingers.  Line the bottoms of your containers with them, followed by cream mixture.  Add another layer of ladyfingers.  Top with cream and sprinkle cooca powder on top.

Refrigerate for at least an hour before serving.



Labels: , ,

5 Comments:

At August 16, 2011 at 8:57 AM , Blogger Lisa~~ said...

I love this quick version, I may never layer up my Tiramisu again.

Lisa~~
Cook Lisa Cook

 
At August 16, 2011 at 9:53 AM , Blogger Peggy said...

It's amazing how the blogging community is so tight-knit and there for one of their own. Jennie has an amazing personality and my heart truly aches for her and her girls.

This tiramisu sounds wonderful, by the way =)

 
At August 16, 2011 at 10:17 AM , Anonymous Nicole@HeatOvenTo350 said...

It really does make you think about how often we tell the people in our lives that we appreciate them. I'm glad you had a chance to make something special for your husband.

 
At August 16, 2011 at 3:57 PM , Blogger Kelly | Eat Yourself Skinny said...

What a sweet tribute this is and I'm so honored to be part of this amazing community of food bloggers :)

 
At August 16, 2011 at 8:13 PM , Anonymous bakerbynature said...

This was such a beautiful and touching post. I try and remember everyday to live and love (and bake) like it is my last- not morbidly, but celebratory of the present, and not taking the future for granted.

 

Post a Comment

You keep commenting, I keep cooking. Simple as that.

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home