<data:blog.pageTitle/>

This Page

has moved to a new address:

http://iwasborntocook.com

Sorry for the inconvenience…

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service

Saturday, January 29, 2011

Happy Birthday Mom!

When I started this blog 6 weeks ago, I tried to think of things I could do in order to challenge myself - to raise the bar beyond what I've been doing in the kitchen regularly.  I came up with a few ideas, although there was one I was a little scared particularly excited about starting.

For a while now, my family has been buying birthday cakes rather than bake them ourselves...so, being that baking has never been my strongpoint, I thought, why not bake everyone's cakes this year?  Let the birthday boy/girl choose whatever they want, and I would deliver.

The first birthday of the year is Mom's.  We gathered today to celebrate (along with mine, but I'm waiting until the actual day to make my cake - check back in a few days), and I started My Personal Baking Challenge off with a bang - German Chocolate Cake.


Everyone was patiently waiting for "happy cake time"...including the oldest and youngest grandsons...


Finally!!  Happy Birthday Mom! (I made a wish, too)



Dad was watching over it carefully...


...and Bella had a cookie appetizer before eating some of Daddy's piece.



Now, what to make for mine on Wednesday?  Any suggestions?  Considering we're supposed to be snowed in (AGAIN), it may just be the three of us eating it.  Better bust out the sweats.

I used the recipe on the Original Baker's German's Chocolate Box and it didn't disappoint.  Soooo good. I will say, though, that the prep was longer than 30 minutes.  More like 45...maybe a bit more.  Still, it was easy to follow.

And, if you're anything like my family, you know that there can never be too much chocolate.  EVER.  So, I had to frost the sides with this AMAZING chocolate icing.  I highly recommend doing the same.

Kittencal's Chocolate Frosting
from Food.com
1/2 cup butter, softened 
2 2/3 cups confectioners' sugar, sifted
1/3 cup half and half
1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla
1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder, sifted


  • Cream the butter in a small bowl.  Blend in the cocoa powder, vanilla, confectioners sugar, alternately with the cream.  Beat with an electric mixer, until the desired texture is achieved.


  • Linked to: Sweets for a Saturday, hosted by Sweet As Sugar Cookies



    Labels: , , , ,

    6 Comments:

    At January 29, 2011 at 9:14 PM , Blogger Tara said...

    How about a Cannoli Cake?

     
    At January 29, 2011 at 10:57 PM , Blogger Ann said...

    Looks delicious! happy Birthday to you and your mom!

     
    At January 30, 2011 at 9:10 AM , Blogger Unknown said...

    OMG! Looks amazing!!! So sweet to see how much you look like your mom and how much Bella looks like you. How about Red Velvet with Cream Cheese Frosting for your next endeavor??? Happy Birthday to you!

     
    At January 30, 2011 at 8:30 PM , Blogger Lishie said...

    OMG, I want a piece right now...

     
    At March 19, 2011 at 2:30 PM , Blogger Tessa said...

    It looks amazing. I would have never guessed that you don't regularly bake cakes. Great job!

     
    At March 19, 2011 at 2:50 PM , Blogger Cindy said...

    Beautiful Cake! This was what my Dad would request for his birthday each year.

     

    Post a Comment

    You keep commenting, I keep cooking. Simple as that.

    Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

    << Home