<data:blog.pageTitle/>

This Page

has moved to a new address:

http://iwasborntocook.com

Sorry for the inconvenience…

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service

Thursday, December 23, 2010

Hi, my name is Melissa, and I'm a crockpot addict.

Yep, I'll admit it.  Go ahead - raise your hand and join in.  Especially you moms out there...SAH or working...I know you totally get what I'm saying.  Quick and easy!  Convenient!  Does my job while I'm out and about, and won't burn the house down!

I'm always on the hunt for good crockpot recipes, and believe me, there aren't too many out there.  Not everything was made to be thrown in the slow cooker...some dishes just don't pass the test.  Therefore, I don't use it as often as I'd like.

So when I do find a good recipe, I make sure to embrace it.  I even find different ways to use the leftovers, if possible.  Like this one, which happens to be one of Frank's favorite dishes.  I don't have a picture of it, but will definitely add one in the next time I make it.

I do, however, have a picture of what I did with the leftovers (a bad one, but whatever), which is one of Bella's favorite things to eat.  And either way, this is freezer friendly.  Score!

Slow Cooker Pulled Pork
adapted from Allrecipes


1 pork butt (around 3 pounds)
1 (12 fluid ounce) can or bottle root beer
1 (18 ounce) bottle of your favorite barbecue sauce
1 large onion, sliced (optional)


Place the pork in a slow cooker; pour the root beer over the meat. Add onions.  Cover and cook on low until well cooked and the pork shreds easily, 6 to 7 hours. 

  • Note: the actual length of time may vary according to each slow cooker (I have a 6.5 qt. Cuisinart and it takes approximately 4 hours to cook this dish).

  • Drain well and remove bone (if applicable).  Stir in barbecue sauce. Serve as a sandwich or on its own.

  • Serves 8-10.

  • then...




  • Pulled Pork Empanadas

  • leftover pulled pork
  • 1 package empanada discs (located in the freezer section)
  • 1 egg yolk
  • cheddar cheese, sliced green olives, beans (optional)...add whatever you like!

  • Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  Place 1-2 tablespoons of pork in the center of the disc.  Fold dough over to make a half circle.  Press the edges down firmly, then brush the edge with a little bit of water and fold it over itself.  Crimp it as you go along.

  • Place empanadas on a baking sheet.  Beat egg yolk with a little water and brush mixture over each of them.  Bake until golden brown, about 20-25 minutes.



Labels: , , , , ,

5 Comments:

At December 23, 2010 at 8:47 PM , Blogger Linda said...

this is a keeper!!! Thanks Mel!

 
At December 23, 2010 at 9:24 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love that Melissa. I just got a new crockpot and I'm looking for recipes. Thank you!

 
At December 24, 2010 at 9:44 AM , Blogger Kita said...

I absolutely feel ya on the crock pot love. I just bought my step-sister one as a housewarming gift and have 3 here myself. I pulled pork from the crock pot - can't beat it!

 
At December 26, 2010 at 9:45 AM , Blogger Alisa said...

Excellent recipe.I came across your site from the foodieblogroll and I'd love to guide Foodista readers to your site. I hope you could add this crock pot widget at the end of this post so we could add you in our list of food bloggers who blogged about recipes for the crock pot,Thanks!

 
At February 8, 2011 at 7:25 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

I made the pulled pork tonight..it was out of this world!! So tender and full of flavor!! I can't wait to make it again!! Thank you!!!

 

Post a Comment

You keep commenting, I keep cooking. Simple as that.

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home