<data:blog.pageTitle/>

This Page

has moved to a new address:

http://iwasborntocook.com

Sorry for the inconvenience…

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service

Friday, December 17, 2010

Season of the Soup

I love this time of year when it comes to cooking...there are so many great soups and stews to choose from.  I make them often - sometimes in a dutch oven, sometimes in my crockpot.  I like to try new ones out but there are a few that totally bring me back to my childhood...

My mom makes the BEST Pasta Fagioli.  Seriously, it's awesome.  Ham hock and everything.  Even though Frank hates beans (haha, that sounds funny...frank and beans, Frank hates beans...ummm, never mind) I'm going to have to make it at some point this winter - even if I freeze most of it and eat it all myself.  Mom, send me that recipe when you get a chance, please!

I made this in a dutch oven...it was dinner earlier this week.  It was good, not GREAT, but good.  Very easy too.  Those of you who are fans of Olive Garden (cough, cough) may recognize it - supposedly it's a copycat recipe of their version.  I tried it because I had all the main ingredients on hand, although I made some substitutions.



Rich Italian Sausage and Potato Soup
from Allrecipes


1 pound Italian sausage
3/4 cup chopped onion (I used more, as usual)
1 slice pancetta, diced
1 1/4 teaspoons garlic, minced (I used more, again, as usual)
1 cube chicken bouillon
4 cups water (instead of this and the bouillon, I used a 32 oz. container of low sodium chicken broth)
2 potatoes, cubed (I used some baby potatoes, red, purple and yellow)
2 cups kale, rinsed and julienned (I used frozen chopped spinach)
1/3 cup heavy cream

  • Preheat oven to 300 degrees.  Place sausage links on a sheet pan and bake for 15 to 20 minutes, or until done. Cut each link in half lengthwise, and then into 1/2 inch slices. Set aside for later.

  • In a 4 quart saucepan over medium heat, saute the onions and the pancetta for 10 minutes, or until onions are almost clear. Add the garlic and saute for one more minute. Add the chicken base OR bouillon, water and potatoes and bring to a simmer for 15 minutes. Add the kale, cream and reserved sausage, simmer for 5 more minutes and serve.

  • Serves 7.


Labels: , , , , , ,

2 Comments:

At December 17, 2010 at 2:03 PM , Blogger Natalie said...

Looks good! have you ever had the Sausage soup from Bertucci's? That is my favorite!

 
At December 20, 2010 at 3:36 PM , Blogger Merut said...

I don't think I've ever had Pasta Fagioli. I have seen this on the menu at the Olive Garden, but haven't tried it yet. I'll just have to make this version instead.

 

Post a Comment

You keep commenting, I keep cooking. Simple as that.

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home