<data:blog.pageTitle/>

This Page

has moved to a new address:

http://iwasborntocook.com

Sorry for the inconvenience…

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service

Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Stuffed Cabbage Soup for the Souper Bowl (in memory of the greatest dog I've ever known)

Another year, another Souper Bowl from Branny Boils Over!  Last year her effort yielded much success, and she's looking to go even further this year.  Click here for more details on how you can be a part of this great cause.

Last year I made my crockpot lentil soup for the event, and honored my sister's English Bulldog, Vito...my first nephew.  Seeing as he is the only pet in our family, I planned on doing the same this time around.

Unfortunately, circumstances have changed since I made my soup last week...otherwise it definitely would have included lots of meatballs.


On Sunday, January 15th, at around 10pm, Vito crossed to the other side and joined many other animals that we've loved in the past.  For a while now, the V-Man hasn't been in the best of health, and the past few weeks were really, really awful.  My sister and brother-in-law did all that they could, but his time had come.


He was 13 years old.  The most handsome 13 year old I've ever known.


Vito was a HUGE part of our entire family.  There have been lots of tears in the past few days but we all can smile and think of many, many fond memories of Vee Vee, as Bella called him.


We love you, V!  I know you're having plenty of meatballs up there in doggie heaven :)


Stuffed Cabbage Soup
very slightly adapted from Join Us, Pull Up A Chair

1 pound ground beef
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 small head green cabbage, chopped
2 1/2 cups water
2/3 cup uncooked long grain rice
1 tablespoon worcestershire sauce
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1 teaspoon basil
1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1 (28 ounce) can crushed tomatoes
1/2 teaspoon salt

Cook garlic and beef in a large Dutch oven over medium heat until beef is no longer pink.  Drain fat from pot.  Stir in cabbage, water, rice, worcestershire, garlic powder, basil and peppers.  Bring to a boil.  Reduce to a simmer and cook, covered, for about 25-30 minutes.

Stir in crushed tomatoes and salt.  If at this point you feel it isn't "soupy" enough for you, add more water and adjust seasonings to taste.  Heat through.  Serve with grated cheese, if desired.

Serves 6.

Linked to: Tastetastic Thursday
                   Soup Link Up


Labels: , , , , ,

12 Comments:

At January 17, 2012 at 9:44 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is a beautiful dedication to Vito from his Aunt Miss who he always held dear to his heart as a loving aunt and a great cook!

 
At January 17, 2012 at 9:47 AM , Anonymous Jill (JBean Cuisine) said...

Great post (and cause!) and I am so sorry to hear about Vito. When we lost our dog, someone sent the following poem to me and I found comfort in it.

http://www.resteddoginn.ca/rainbow.php

I hope your family finds peace and comfort in all the wonderful memories with him.

 
At January 17, 2012 at 4:52 PM , Anonymous Macaroni and Cheesecake said...

I'm so sorry for your loss. It's so hard to lose a pet:(

 
At January 18, 2012 at 7:48 AM , Anonymous Malia said...

I'm so sorry for your loss. He looks like such a wonderful dog:)

 
At January 18, 2012 at 12:01 PM , Blogger Rescie said...

Such a lovely way to honor a very important part of your family. Will think of Vee everytime I eat your delicious soup. They grab your heart and never let go.

 
At January 18, 2012 at 8:27 PM , Anonymous branny said...

Aw, I am so sorry. RIP mr vito!

 
At January 19, 2012 at 12:21 AM , Anonymous Jo said...

What a handsome fellow! We've had many animals cross over, and are prepping for another one in the nearish future. It is never easy, but it is obvious Vito had a fabulous, happy life!

 
At January 19, 2012 at 3:49 PM , Anonymous Steph (The Cheapskate Cook) said...

Oh I'm so sorry. It's sad when animals pass :-(.
I think I'd like to make this tonight, and maybe use lentils instead of meatballs - you think that would work?
(here from Tastetastic Thursday)

 
At January 19, 2012 at 3:52 PM , Blogger Melissa @IWasBornToCook said...

Steph, I think lentils would work...let me know if you try it! Oh and it isn't meatballs in the dish - just ground beef.

 
At January 21, 2012 at 1:49 PM , Blogger Amy Anderson said...

Sounds delicious! I'm featuring you this weekend: http://www.alittlenosh.net/2012/01/weekend-spotlight-18.html

 
At January 23, 2012 at 3:36 PM , Blogger MrsJenB said...

So sorry for your loss. So hard losing a beloved pet like that.

I am definitely making this soup and if I do, and feature it on my blog, I'll be sure to give you a shout-out. I adore stuffed cabbage and this makes life so much easier!

 
At October 17, 2012 at 12:34 PM , Anonymous Shari B. (FitFeat) said...

Hi Melissa - I am very late to the game on the post. Just happened to be searching for stuffed cabbage soup recipes and was routed to your blog. But I still wanted to comment on the loss of Vito. We lost our beloved Weim (Riley) in June and now know firsthand the pain of losing a pet that is such a large part of the family. My heart goes out to you guys, even now 9 months after Vito's passing.

 

Post a Comment

You keep commenting, I keep cooking. Simple as that.

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home