<data:blog.pageTitle/>

This Page

has moved to a new address:

http://iwasborntocook.com

Sorry for the inconvenience…

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service

Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Recipe Swap - Baked Creamy Chicken Taquitos

A recipe swap involving chicken can only mean good things.  I'm always looking for new ways to prepare it since we eat so much of it.  Besides, I kind of feel like I've been in a bit of a chicken rut lately, so this came at the perfect time.

This recipe, which has been popular among other food bloggers I know, fell into my lap so it gave me the kick in the pants I needed to finally try it.  The original recipe, submitted by Melissa from Lemons & Love, suggests black beans as part of the filling, which are not Frank approved so they were omitted.  Also, the tortillas I used (which are a staple in our house) are naturally soft so they don't need to be microwaved before assembling, as suggested by Melissa.


After reviewing my pictures against others who have made these taquitos, I realize mine are fatter than most (gotta work on my rolling skills, it seems!)...it didn't matter to us because they were still delicious.  I served them with mexican rice and guacamole.  I also topped mine with sour cream and jalapenos.  Yum.

Frank really liked these, and it made enough for us to have some leftover to freeze...12 in total.  If you make them with the beans you'll end up with more because they'll bulk up the filling.


Thanks for a great recipe, Melissa!

Baked Creamy Chicken Taquitos
adapted from Lemons & Love

8 ounces light cream cheese
1/4 cup salsa
juice of 1 lime
1 teaspoon cumin
2 teaspoons chili powder
2 teaspoons garlic powder
2 cups shredded cooked chicken
1 cup grated Monterey jack cheese
small tortillas (I used low carb flour tortillas from Trader Joe's)
kosher salt
cooking spray
 
Heat oven to 425. Line a baking sheet with foil and lightly coat with cooking spray.

Heat cream cheese in the microwave for about 20-30 seconds until soft enough to stir. Add salsa, lime juice, cumin, chili powder and garlic powder. Stir to combine. Add chicken and cheese and combine well.  (This can be made ahead of time - just keep in fridge)

Place 2-3 tablespoons of chicken mixture on the lower third of a tortilla, keeping it about 1/2 inch from the edges.  Roll it up as tight as you can.  Place seam side down on the baking sheet. 

Lay all of the taquitos on baking sheet and spread apart enough so they aren't touching. Spray the tops lightly with cooking spray and sprinkle kosher salt on top.  Bake for 15-20 minutes or until crisp and the ends start to get golden brown.

Labels: , , , , ,

4 Comments:

At July 26, 2011 at 8:18 AM , Blogger Mary Bergfeld said...

These really sound delicious and will soon be making their way from your table to mine. This is my first visit to your blog so I decided to browse through your earlier entries to see what you were all about. I'm so glad I did that. I really like the food and recipes you feature here and I'll definitely be back. I hope you have a great day. Blessings...Mary

 
At July 26, 2011 at 12:24 PM , Anonymous Nicole@HeatOvenTo350 said...

These look wonderful. I have a problem with fat taquitos, too. Must be my inner brain trying to get as much filling in as possible. :)

 
At July 26, 2011 at 7:16 PM , Anonymous Maris (In Good Taste) said...

These look scrumptious!Love the idea of making enough to freeze

 
At July 27, 2011 at 6:39 PM , Anonymous Kimby said...

I think your rolling skills are just fine. :) These look great!

 

Post a Comment

You keep commenting, I keep cooking. Simple as that.

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home