<data:blog.pageTitle/>

This Page

has moved to a new address:

http://iwasborntocook.com

Sorry for the inconvenience…

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service

Monday, January 7, 2013

Walnut Roca Bars (Secret Recipe Club)

SRC is back!  We took the month of December off because of all the holiday craziness (and we certainly had enough of it!)...so here we are, the first club post of the year.  And let me tell you - this is a really good one!

My assignment this month was Lisa's blog, Cook Lisa Cook.  Lisa had some great recipes to choose from (many of which were made with help from her adorable daughter!) and it was hard narrowing it down.  I'm glad I picked these bars.  They were a huge hit with the family.


In reality, they weren't actually bars (or squares, as Lisa called them)...at least not for me.  When they first cooled, I couldn't get them off the foil.  They kept breaking into pieces.  Fortunately, 5 days later, that wasn't the case.  I guess they needed some time in the fridge before they would part from it.  So, it ended up looking like pieces you'd get when you make bark.  Totally fine by me - they still tasted delicious!

Thanks for a wonderful recipe, Lisa!


Walnut Roca Bars
from Cook Lisa Cook

1 cup butter
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 cup brown sugar
1 egg
1 cup flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
1/2 cup finely chopped walnuts

Preheat oven to 325 degrees.  Line a 9x13 baking pan with foil.

Cream butter and sugars together in a large bowl.  Add egg and beat until smooth, then add flour and salt.  Beat for about a minute.  Spread mixture into pan.  Bake for 20-25 minutes, or until golden brown.

Remove from oven and sprinkle chips on top.  Return pan to oven and leave in for about 2-3 minutes.  Take pan out and gently spread chocolate with an offset spatula.  Sprinkle walnuts on top.

***Let cool completely and remove from pan by lifting foil.  Peel off foil and place on cutting board to cut into bars.

***see above for how I needed to remove them

Linked to: Sweets for a Saturday





Labels: , , , ,

12 Comments:

At January 7, 2013 at 12:05 PM , Blogger Kate said...

hi melissa! i loved your scalloped ham & potato bake and andes mint cake for this month's src. i bookmarked waaay too many of your recipes, so i had to choose 2! both were delicious.

http://kitchentrialanderror.blogspot.com/2013/01/secret-recipe-club-scalloped-ham-potato.html

 
At January 7, 2013 at 12:06 PM , Blogger Sara said...

These bars look totally fantastic...I love almond roca, and I bet these are just amazing!

 
At January 7, 2013 at 12:14 PM , Blogger Cookaholic Wife said...

Well don't they look tasty. I even have some extra walnuts to use up!

 
At January 7, 2013 at 1:18 PM , Blogger Katrina said...

Mmm, these look great. Next time, try the non-stick foil--I LOVE that stuff. Or lightly spray the foil with cooking spray. Happy New Year!

 
At January 7, 2013 at 1:19 PM , Blogger Melissa @IWasBornToCook said...

Thanks so much Kate - let me know if you try anything else :)

 
At January 7, 2013 at 1:19 PM , Blogger Melissa @IWasBornToCook said...

I thought of spraying the foil after the fact - that probably would have solved the problem!

 
At January 7, 2013 at 4:19 PM , Blogger Kirstin said...

yum...sounds totally yummy! I'm a fellow SRC member..group D.

 
At January 7, 2013 at 6:39 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Parchment paper might also be a solution... I hadn't ever used it until recently, but my roommate has some and I'm finding it very useful for baking.

 
At January 7, 2013 at 7:26 PM , Blogger Lisa~~ said...

Sorry that you had foil issues but your bars, or bark came out wonderful looking and I'm pleased that you enjoyed it. Thanks for cooking from my blog.

 
At January 8, 2013 at 7:04 AM , Blogger Trisha said...

Its always nice when you find something that everyone enjoys. This sure was a good find!

 
At January 10, 2013 at 8:47 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Pieces. Squares. Bars. As long as they are sweet and delicious...and they look wonderful!!

 
At January 14, 2013 at 2:42 AM , Blogger Cindy said...

Wonderful flavors--great SRC pick.

 

Post a Comment

You keep commenting, I keep cooking. Simple as that.

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home