<data:blog.pageTitle/>

This Page

has moved to a new address:

http://iwasborntocook.com

Sorry for the inconvenience…

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service

Tuesday, August 28, 2012

Ovaltine Brownies

Talk about a throwback...


As soon as I saw Ovaltine in my sister's pantry, memories started flooding into my brain.  We LOVED this stuff as kids!  I guess my nieces like it now, too.

I haven't had it in ages, and actually kind of forgot about it.  But, I felt compelled to bake something with it, especially after getting our "assignment" for our What's Baking? group this month, which was to bake something that reminds you of your favorite place.  And one of my favorite places is definitely home...more specifically, home when I was a kid.


These brownies were SO good.  Moist and dense, and super tasty.  They were the perfect alternative to the traditional brownie.


Thanks to Joanna from Newlywed and Newly Cooking for a great theme this month!

Ovaltine Brownies
from The Not So Blog's Experimental Mommy

1 cup sugar
1/2 cup (1 stick) butter, melted
2 tablespoons water
2 eggs
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
1 1/3 AP flour
1 1/2 cups Ovaltine mix
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 cup semi-sweet mini chocolate chips

Preheat oven to 325 degrees.  Grease a 9 inch square baking pan.

Combine sugar, butter and water in a bowl.  Mix until combined, then stir in eggs and vanilla.  Combine flour, Ovaltine, baking powder and salt in another bowl.  Add it all at once to sugar mixture.  Fold in 1/4 cup of chips.

Spread mixture into baking pan and bake for about 35 minutes.  Remove from oven and sprinkle remaining chips all over the top.  After 5 minutes, spread chips evenly over brownies with a spatula.  Cool completely, then cut into bars.


Labels: , , ,

2 Comments:

At August 28, 2012 at 10:36 AM , Anonymous Ammie said...

Love this post! I was just talking to my husband about buying malted milk powder because it's been a while since I've had it. Definitely brings back memories!

 
At August 28, 2012 at 9:48 PM , Blogger Dorothy @ Crazy for Crust said...

What a genius recipe! I loooove Ovaltine!

 

Post a Comment

You keep commenting, I keep cooking. Simple as that.

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home