<data:blog.pageTitle/>

This Page

has moved to a new address:

http://iwasborntocook.com

Sorry for the inconvenience…

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service

Wednesday, October 19, 2011

A "meaty" stew

There are very few ways I can get away with a meatless meal in this house if it doesn't involve pasta.  I have to tread carefully when I try new dishes of this nature.  This one, fortunately, got Frank's approval...even after I got the "hmmph" over the phone when he asked what was for dinner.  

I had an eggplant I needed to use, along with leftover tomato paste in the fridge and a little bit of marinara sauce.  I threw this together and it hit the table 30 minutes later.  Quick, delicious and satisfying!  Oh yeah, and healthy :)

When will he realize I'll never let him down? 

What's your favorite meatless meal?  Try this soon - it may just end up at the top of your list.

Eggplant Stew with Polenta
5 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil, divided
1 onion, chopped
3 garlic cloves, chopped
1 eggplant, cubed
2 plum tomatoes, chopped
2 teaspoons dried basil
2 teaspoons dried parsley
salt and pepper to taste
2 teaspoons tomato paste
3/4 cup marinara sauce
1/2 cup red wine
polenta (see this link for different ways to cook it)

In a medium size pot over medium-high heat, heat 3 tablespoons oil, then add onion and garlic.  Saute for about 1-2 minutes, then add eggplant.  Stir and add remaining oil, plus salt and pepper, basil and parsley.  Cook for about 3-4 minutes, then add tomatoes and cook for another 2 minutes.

Stir in tomato paste, marinara and wine.  Cover, lower heat and simmer for about 15-20 minutes.

Cook polenta and plate.  Add stew on top and serve.

Linked to: Tastetastic Thursday
                   Eggplant Blog Hop


Labels: , , , , ,

4 Comments:

At October 19, 2011 at 7:44 AM , Blogger Joanne said...

Veggie stews and polenta were meant for each other, I'm pretty sure. I know I would adore this meal!

 
At October 20, 2011 at 7:31 AM , Blogger Sprigs of Rosemary said...

It wasn't until we were halfway through eating a veggie stew that my husband realized there was no meat in it. I wish I would have thought of polenta, though!

 
At October 23, 2011 at 6:32 AM , Blogger Amy Anderson said...

It sounds so hearty and warming. Thanks for linking up at A Little Nosh this week!

 
At March 10, 2012 at 9:45 AM , Anonymous Judee @ Gluten Free A-Z said...

So funny! We both listed this recipe on Katherine Martinelli's eggplant blog hop ( Remeber I made it for SRC)
I'm still enjoying it.

 

Post a Comment

You keep commenting, I keep cooking. Simple as that.

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home