<data:blog.pageTitle/>

This Page

has moved to a new address:

http://iwasborntocook.com

Sorry for the inconvenience…

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service

Monday, October 10, 2011

Global warming (Secret Recipe Club)

This month's Secret Recipe Club blog assignment was an interesting one.  From Arepas to Zwetschgen is a blog that pretty much spans the globe.  I spent a while browsing around.  So many great recipes from lots of different countries!  Check it out when you have a chance.

When I saw the recipe for Czech Beef Goulash, I was automatically inspired to bust out the recipe that I've been using for a looooong time (I was missing a few of the ingredients for the assigned recipe anyway, plus I don't have a pressure cooker).  I hadn't made it in ages - definitely not since Frank and I have been together (7 years!).  It served its purpose by filling our bellies with lots of warmth and comfort on a cool, crisp autumn day.


There's something about the way the sour cream blends in with the sauce and noodles...the whole thing comes together so nicely.  Yum.

I'm so glad I was reminded of this meal, which is very similar to the assigned recipe (see link below)...looking forward to making it again soon!

Beef Goulash
inspired by From Arepas to Zwetschgen

1 1/4 pounds beef stew meat
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
2 small yellow onions, sliced
2 cloves garlic, chopped
1 1/2 tablespoons paprika
1 cup diced tomatoes
1 tablespoon tomato paste
2 teaspoons flour
3/4 cup beef broth
1 tablespoon thyme
salt and pepper to taste
egg noodles, cooked according to package directions
sour cream for topping

Preheat oven to 325 degrees.  Heat oil in a oven safe casserole dish and add beef, cooking until brown.  Add onions and garlic, and cook until onions are transparent.  Add paprika and stir.

Add tomatoes and tomato paste.  Dissolve flour in beef broth, stir and add to pot.  Add thyme, then salt and pepper to taste.  Bring to a boil, stirring often.

Cover tightly and place in oven.  Cook for approximately 2 hours.  Serve with noodles and a dollop of sour cream.

Serves 3.




Labels: , , , ,

17 Comments:

At October 10, 2011 at 9:42 AM , Blogger ZONE F DG TEAM said...

I love dishes you can prep and walk away. Great choice.

 
At October 10, 2011 at 9:59 AM , Blogger Donna Elick said...

I haven't had goulash in forever! This looks amazing. I am going to bookmark it for later.

 
At October 10, 2011 at 10:12 AM , Blogger German Mama said...

Great choice! This is one of my all-time favorite recipes.

 
At October 10, 2011 at 11:39 AM , Blogger Lisa~~ said...

Sour cream in any dish is wonderful and this one looks fabu.

If you haven't already, I'd love for you to check out my SRC recipe this month: Levain Chocolate Chip Walnut Cookies.

Lisa~~
Cook Lisa Cook

 
At October 10, 2011 at 12:18 PM , Blogger Megan said...

I'm so excited the cooler weather is here and it's time for these kind of foods. This sounds terrific!

 
At October 10, 2011 at 4:21 PM , Blogger Hezzi-D said...

I've never made a goulash but they always look so delicious and yours is no exception! I've pinned this and I'll have to try it out this winter-it looks like a good cold weather dish!

 
At October 10, 2011 at 5:21 PM , Anonymous Katherine Martinelli said...

I love beef goulash!! Haven't made it in forever, need to try this recipe.

 
At October 10, 2011 at 5:27 PM , Blogger Sara said...

Oooooooh, this sounds so very tasty! Love it. :)

 
At October 10, 2011 at 6:08 PM , Blogger Amanda said...

I love comfort food recipes like this!

 
At October 10, 2011 at 7:13 PM , Anonymous Ilke said...

Makes me wish the fall was here to stay for a long time so I can eat more of this! Gotta try with sour cream and noodles next time. I sometime put a big spoon of thick yogurt on top, especially if I dumped the black pepper in it by accident :)

 
At October 11, 2011 at 12:38 AM , Anonymous janet@cupcakestocaviar said...

Yum! My husband and I love goulash but I haven't been able to find a recipe I really like yet because so many of them used WAY too much tomato in them. This one sounds great! Thanks for sharing it. :-)

 
At October 11, 2011 at 3:17 AM , Anonymous foodie @ tastingspot said...

i like your pictures and would like to invite you to share them on tastingspot.com

 
At October 11, 2011 at 7:16 AM , Blogger Joanne said...

I've never had goulash but it sounds like serious comfort food. Yum.

 
At October 11, 2011 at 1:32 PM , Blogger Evelyne CulturEatz said...

Such a perfect dish for fall. Sounds like this blog is right up my ethnic alley, great job

 
At October 12, 2011 at 1:22 PM , Blogger Susie said...

Yum! I want this for dinner tonight!

 
At October 12, 2011 at 6:19 PM , Anonymous Julie said...

making this tonight! It's in the oven right now, hope it turns out!

 
At November 20, 2011 at 7:28 PM , Anonymous pam@extravagonzofoods.com said...

goulash is not something I usually eat, but this recipe sounds wonderful!

 

Post a Comment

You keep commenting, I keep cooking. Simple as that.

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home